ideal psu for gtx 1080 ti / ryzen 1600 build??

Oct 6, 2017
so i'll be putting together my very first build in the next 2 months and was wondering what would the ideal psu be for a build like mine

Gpu: gtx 1080 ti Oc'd to the gills
Cpu: r5 1600 @3.8 at 1.4v or somethin' stock cooler
Ram:2x8 3000mhz corsair oc'd @ 3200mhz
Mobo: msi b350 pc mate
Case: phanteks p400s
Hdd: 2tb seagate
(eventually) Ssd: 550gb m.2

(eventually) Other: rgb gaming mouse and keyboard, rgb strips and x1 120mm/ x2 140mm fans

i was planning on getting a 550w evga g2 gold+ for the system but then i tought it would be pushing the limits of the psu too much, so i looked around for 650w tier 1 psu's and i came up with my 2 favourites.

a) 650w evga b3 ($68)

5 years warranty, fully modular, braided cables and very well reviewed / only bronze rated and has a pretty bad chinese fan. costs 68€

b) 650w Seasonic focus plus gold (€87)

Comes with a 10 year warranty that oddly enough, does NOT cover usual wear and tear, so is basically useless / fully modular braided cables, amazing capacitators and all the stuff that a seasonic psu is expected to come with, only thing... costs 87€

my real question doe is, do i really need more than 550w?

now, i've done my fair bit of research, but the answer stil isn't that clear. online some swear by the fact that systems don't consume as much as we think, others do not agree and blah blah...

so what should i do? go with the amazing and insanly priced 550w psu? or have a piece of mind getting the 650w's?

and if so which 650w?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu: gtx 1080 ti Oc'd to the gills
Not sure why you think you must OC everything to it's limits but don't spend all that money on parts then skimp on the power supply get the Seasonic 650 watt. The warranty will cover the power supply if it fails.

Oct 6, 2017

cuz it's fun, and i pay a shitton to be able to tinker with the hardware and get the results i want...

as i said oddly enough seasonic covers only factory defects and faulty modules, not failure due to wear and tear and normal usage (not sure what normal usage means)

it's on their website

Yes, you do need more than 550w.

The power supply you need is gated by the graphics card you will use.
A normal GTX1080ti needs a 6 and a 8 pin connector.
That, along with the usual cpu and peripherals can be handled by a 600w psu.
If your GTX1080ti is highly overclocked, it will have two 8 pin connectors, so you should allow for 75w more.

Then, I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

The Seasonic focus gets a 9.8 out of 10 rating by jonnyguru, one of the best psu experts. Go with that.
750w unit would be about right.

Past that, you are not going to get max out of your overclock with a stock cooler.

I would buy my ssd up front and add a hard drive later when more storage space is needed.

Lastly, for a top gaming rig, look for intel 8th gen I5-8600K or I7-8700K if you want to drive the GTX1080ti to it's limits.

Oct 6, 2017

i agree with with everything u say only thing is, i don't have an unlimited budget, a 750w costs a lot more than a 650w, the new coffe lakes plus their motherboard cost way more than the ryzen 5 i already barely can fit in the budget so...

of course more money get u better stuff, but i'm trying to get to the "sweetest spot" i can reach without going completely bankrupt.

very max limit is 1300€ the build i showed is 1280€