[SOLVED] Ideal use of H115i fans in iCUE 465X case

Aug 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on assembling an H115i watercooling in a iCUE 465X case.
The case is only meant to accept the radiator on front, if I understand well its specs.

The case comes with 3 front fans (120) for intake.
I'll be adding another 120 on the back to pull air.

But the H115i comes himself with two 140 fans, wich I understand are to be placed on the 280 radiator.

My question is : should I mount the radiator fans... on the radiator ? Or just one of the two 140, and place the other on top of the case to add out-take? Or mount neither of the 140 ?

I'm new to watercooling and I can't find out if my radiatior will need to be sandwiched between the 3 intakes of the case and its own two 140 fans or better left alone with only the 3 front fans, discading the watercooling ones ?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who could answer me !

PS : (full config if necessary : it will run with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 2060 RTX, as well as 4x8Go Ram and an M2 SSD)

Solution
No need to add another fan - waste of money. The chassis is preinstalled with 3x LL120 fans in front, so here's what you'll do:
Remove the 3x LL120s - they will not fit together with the H115i and its fans. Install 2 of them top exhaust, and the remaining fan as rear exhaust.
The H115i radiator is to be installed in the front, with the fans behind it pulling air through. Done.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No need to add another fan - waste of money. The chassis is preinstalled with 3x LL120 fans in front, so here's what you'll do:
Remove the 3x LL120s - they will not fit together with the H115i and its fans. Install 2 of them top exhaust, and the remaining fan as rear exhaust.
The H115i radiator is to be installed in the front, with the fans behind it pulling air through. Done.

Reactions: Elyss
Solution
Aug 10, 2020

Woh that... is... actually very smart...! Thanks a lot, that makes so much sense !

So to confirm, I would have the two 140 on front (lighting outside the case), intaking air into the radiator behind them, then the three 120 pulling air out on back and top ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, the 2x 140 would be behind the radiator, pulling air through from behind. This gives the fans more 'breathing room' from the front panel, as well as providing a more direct path for air to the gpu.
Might not be as aesthetically pleasant to you, but for cooling performance, it's a little better than the fans pushing air through the rad.

The rest is correct.

Aug 10, 2020
No, the 2x 140 would be behind the radiator, pulling air through from behind. This gives the fans more 'breathing room' from the front panel, as well as providing a more direct path for air to the gpu.
Might not be as aesthetically pleasant to you, but for cooling performance, it's a little better than the fans pushing air through the rad.

The rest is correct.

All right then ! I'll go for that ! ^_^ Thank you a lot for you advices !