[SOLVED] Ideal VRam temperature RTX 3080

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi, so i have been using RTX 3080 for some months now and it's summer here now.
also it's my first high end GPU so i have very little info about such stuff.
My question is that what is the ideal temperature for RTX 3080 its hot spot and Memory temperature.

My PC Glass is literally burning at only 70 degrees.
My temps are while gaming
70 for GPU
Hot spot around 84 85
and Memory temperature 90+

I have my AC turned on but its still giving these temps i wanted to know what are the ideal temps for each category i mentioned.

Thanks a ton

Solution
How bad is that pad swap in your opinion on the Gigabyte cards? I've watched plenty of videos already, most say be careful with the connections to remove the back plate is that the hardest part? also what pads did you choose for yours? I haven't really checked vram temp on my gpu but the core stays around 61-64C in RDR2 , only monitoring software I use currently is speccy and the nvidia stuff, I'm guessing msi afterburner is the route I should go.
I use https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ to monitor pc and it shows Mem junction temp.
I have never taken apart a GPU before. I am handy but I was scared to break it.
The fan plugs are the worst part as they are tight into socket. I thought there must be a pin to push, but its...

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Ideal temps90c and under mem junction.
Optimal IMO under75C memory
Core temp I would aim for under 75C.
I have a few 3080s and they all have different cooling designs and some are b etter than others. The EGA ftw3 Ultra seems to cool the best out of the box followed by the Asus TU. The Gigabyte gaming oc coole=s the core very well but not the memory at all. Those are the only ones I have so I cant speak to the other many brands and models.
I changed the thermal pads and thermal paste on my Gigabyte and lowered the mem temps by 32c and core by 4c.
Some people are comfortable with the upgrade process and others arent. There are numerous youtube vuidei=os that show you how , and many by specific model.
If you arent comfortable with that you can add more/ better fans to your case. I use MSI afterburner. Its an app that you can use to control fan speed anf other settings on your GPU. You can set a curve based on temp, or a static rpm. You can also lower core voltage to your card to help run cooler.
On hot days I take the case side off for more airflow. I have a PC dusting blower and I clean all my components every 3-4 weeks as well.

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
I have a few 3080s and they all have different cooling designs and some are b etter than others. The EGA ftw3 Ultra seems to cool the best out of the box followed by the Asus TU. The Gigabyte gaming oc coole=s the core very well but not the memory at all. Those are the only ones I have so I cant speak to the other many brands and models.
I changed the thermal pads and thermal paste on my Gigabyte and lowered the mem temps by 32c and core by 4c.
Some people are comfortable with the upgrade process and others arent. There are numerous youtube vuidei=os that show you how , and many by specific model.
If you arent comfortable with that you can add more/ better fans to your case. I use MSI afterburner. Its an app that you can use to control fan speed anf other settings on your GPU. You can set a curve based on temp, or a static rpm. You can also lower core voltage to your card to help run cooler.
On hot days I take the case side off for more airflow. I have a PC dusting blower and I clean all my components every 3-4 weeks as well.

How bad is that pad swap in your opinion on the Gigabyte cards? I've watched plenty of videos already, most say be careful with the connections to remove the back plate is that the hardest part? also what pads did you choose for yours? I haven't really checked vram temp on my gpu but the core stays around 61-64C in RDR2 , only monitoring software I use currently is speccy and the nvidia stuff, I'm guessing msi afterburner is the route I should go.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I use https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ to monitor pc and it shows Mem junction temp.
I have never taken apart a GPU before. I am handy but I was scared to break it.
The fan plugs are the worst part as they are tight into socket. I thought there must be a pin to push, but its just pulling hard and I tried leverage with a small flathead.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08YYJ299Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details These pads 2mm
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ4JJWX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details This paste.
If you have ever put paste on a cpu with the drop method, thats not how to do the GPU die. Spread a layer on it fully. I also put a small amount on the HS where it would meet the die only.
I thought I was going to F*** it up and put it off for a month after buying the parts and screwdrivers etc. Bit it worked out better than I imagined and better than youtube videos I watched. Im SO glad I did it finally.
Like changing wheels on the car tighten and loosen the 4 spring loaded screw that are in a square pattern in the alternating corner fashion little by little to get even pressure on the GPU die.
91% ISO is your friend cleaning the old paste and oily pad residue

Last edited:
Reactions: Howardohyea
Solution

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Yeah i'm not gonna take a risk in changing the thermal paste as i have 0 clue about it.
Thinking of removing the panel though
the temps are normal in gaming like its under 75 degrees it's just the memory temp which is 90 degrees but i have heard that they love to hover around 90 to 95 degrees.
Also is it possible that the GPU is more hot than usual because i have stock CPU cooler my cpu is i7 10700 so its really hot as well during gaming i was getting a red cpu light the other day because of it's heat.
so im gonna change it as well but is it possible that CPU is adding more heat to the GPU

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Depending on the fan(s)Qty and speed in your case and how open he baffles are you might not be venting out enough air. In that case heat from gpu and cpu will have stale heat build up. At that point the CPU and GPU fans are just circulating warm air.
My GPU core and Mem never got that hot even before upgraded paste and pads.
The GPU mem got hotter than that during mining but never gaming or on stress testing.
I went into bios and adjusted the cpu and case fans to run faster