Ideapad Y450 charging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetto52SD

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
I'm trying to more accurately diagnose a client's laptop without opening it up, so any help is appreciated. The client says that the battery will not charge and that it needs a new one. Yet when I took out the battery and tried to run the laptop straight off of A/C power, the laptop would not turn on. Tried two different power adapters and neither gave power to the laptop, yet the one that was given to us by the client was lighting up and the other adapter works with other laptops. Even more, the adapter end that goes into the power jack felt loose when plugged in. Therefore, I believe the problem is a loose power jack on the motherboard, but I want to be absolutely sure before I quote the price of a new motherboard to the client. Also, any information about how to repair this problem if it is a MOBO problem would be appreciated as well.

Solution
The very first thing what you need to make is measure his adapter with a multimeter. It must give 19.5V as I remember.
As far I know you cant give accurate info without opening a laptop. You must open it. This one have a cable connector so It may been cracked , you just need to solder it.If you cant you can also order it for 10-15 euros maximum. If he was even forcing to turn on the notebook with broken connector it may short something on mobo also. This one would be a bit harder to repair if you dont know howto.

golemka

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
The very first thing what you need to make is measure his adapter with a multimeter. It must give 19.5V as I remember.
As far I know you cant give accurate info without opening a laptop. You must open it. This one have a cable connector so It may been cracked , you just need to solder it.If you cant you can also order it for 10-15 euros maximum. If he was even forcing to turn on the notebook with broken connector it may short something on mobo also. This one would be a bit harder to repair if you dont know howto.

Solution

Zetto52SD

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014

Tested the adapter and it read at 19.23-19.24 V once the readings stabilized. I'm currently waiting on permission from the client to open up the laptop.

Update: Just got permission to open it up, but will have to do so tomorrow since I don't have much time left today. I'll update you all tomorrow on my findings.

Zetto52SD

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014

Opened up the laptop and found out that the problem is a disconnected wire that connects to the power jack. Would it be better to solder it back on or just buy a new power jack?

Zetto52SD

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014

Appreciate the help, but I asked the client about their preferences and they chose a new power jack. Thanks for the input though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS