Question IdeaPad Y910 SSD dissapearing for no reason

Sep 20, 2019
Hello everyone and thanks in advance, I'm new in the forum so excuse me for the mistakes i will make in the sentencing of my question.

So I have IdeaPad Y910 for quite some time (about 2+ years now), i had problems from the start with the HDD (in the HDD Spot inside the laptop), which is now replaced with SSD, so basically the problem was always there. I though its the disk or maybe I needed new bios, so because I needed the laptop a lot I didn't care about the HDD and didn't have the time to send it for warranty or to check for the problem myself so I installed Ubuntu in the M.2 and forgot about the problem.

But recently I need, more space and i tried putting SSD in there, the result is the same. Updated to the latest BIOS (04.2019), checked the cable which is connection the cage to the Mobo, seems fine.... I'ts just weird, i can work for a week and after that pooof......gone, or it can dissapear after restart in the next minute. The thing is, it dissapears from BIOS also, so maybe its the cable connecting to the mobo, or the mobo itself.
Sorry for the long post, Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
What is the brand/make and model of the SSD you used to replace the HDD in your system? Can you manage to send a picture of what your drive partition looks on your SSD, by going into Disk Manager, when you're able to successfully boot into GUI? Also can you state which version of the OS you're currently on?

I assume you cloned the drive onto the SSD before dropping the SSD into the laptop...?

Sep 20, 2019
Nope no clones...... I installed fresh Win10 on it and when it works it works, but suddenly out of nowhere (usualy after restart), there is no disk (in the BIOS also), I was advised to buy replace communication cable (mobo <> hdd cage), until then my M.2 is my savior (so far no problems with it...) The SSD is Toshiba Q300 Pro 256GB some cheap sh*t but anyway everything important is on my M.2. I will wait for the communication cable and post here, what happened.