Question Ideas about bizzare problem with system freezing / USB over current, tried everything

vjekoslav

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Hello!
Getting pretty desperate here.

I am struggling with this issue for months now.

The problem appeared for the 1st time just after after driving the PC in a car, about 60 km trip. I have moved places 7 months ago.

After a short while of gaming, PC froze. I restarted and got "USB over current has been detected, PC will shutdown in 15 seconds to protect your motherboard" error. I was Whoa, what??

Well, over the months, these are the steps I did. Nothing solved the problem.

1. Replaced M&KB
  2. Replaced usb headset. Basically replaced every USB device I had
  3. Breadboarded the pc, unplugged case USB header, removed any overclocks
  4. Went to RMA the motherboard. They tested it for 2 days, it worked with no errors whatsoever at the shop. Got the same board back...
  5. Replaced PSU - Corsair RM650x with Corsair RM750x
I am worried RAM, GPU or CPU are somehow causing the problem? MBO bios is updated to the latest. Issue happened before and after the update.

Sometimes I can game for hours, nothing happens, but sometimes I get weird pc feezes.

Freezes happen in a sense that PC would stop responding to any input. Lets say I play a yt video. Picture would be on, audio on, but PC would be completely unresponsive.

In online games, I would clearly loose connection to server, game would still be on with audio, but I am unable to make any input..

I replaced every USB device. Had only M&kb connected etc.

I tried furmark, which reproduced this error when gpu reached 80 C and heavy load. Restarted PC, USB over current error... But I can't be certain if GPU is casing it or some other component...

Also, I saw a few times the "pxe-e01 pci vendor and device ids do not match" error at the boot.

I am lost and in need of an opinion what to test or what could be an issue here. Thinking to replace mobo, but I do not want to throw away money on hunches. If the gpu is dying, with gpu prices nowadays, rip me.

Components:

Ryzen 5600x
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
MSI Tomahawk B550 mag
16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz (which I had working without issues on 3733mhz, 1.4v for months)
Samsung 250GB evo ssd
2X 2TB WD Caviar Blue
Corsair RM750x

Help!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS