[SOLVED] Ideas for gaming without a hardline?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I just moved my gaming pc from the basement where we have the only hardline for internet. I purchased these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725LPTZR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but I'm getting speeds that fluctuate greatly. Max speed into the house with our provider is 50mbps. I'm seeing anywhere from just over 1mbps to almost 30mbps. I don't think I have a way to get a hardline from the router in the basement to the office upstairs, so this was my first attempt at dealing with his problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Solution
If you run the Ethernet cable outside, make sure you buy some that is rated for it. My old company had a camera on the roof and ran a thick CAT6 cable to it thinking it would be okay. Only took 6 months for the sunlight to ruin the plastic coating allowing water to get in. Came all the way into the server room. Cost about 15k in damages (just for the switches) just because some idiot ran indoor cable outside. Normal household cables won't due. That is unless you want water damage.

berenod

Honorable
May 6, 2014
Powerlines are notoriously susceptible to less then perfect electricity wiring in the house, or when devices with a high level of RF contamination (like an old vacuumcleaner for example) plugged in somewhere on the same circuit.

Not sure on the electricity supply you have in your country/building, but if three phase, it's very possible that the power outlet in the basement is on a different phase then the power outlets in the office. Usually a source of slow connections.

Even if single phase electricity, if the power outlet in the office sits on a different breaker then the power outlets in the basement, can already give a huge degradation in speeds.

Powerlines is a bit black magic, they work brilliantly in one building, and might simply refuse to play ball in another!

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So wifi is never a good option for gaming. The powerline seems hit or miss. Other options? When we moved in, we had to have the internet provider run a line into our basement. Can they run a line into our main floor? I suppose then I'd need another router in the main floor too. Maybe they could do that when it warmed up in the spring.

You can always run a ethernet the same way the ISP will run a line into the main floor. They just run it on the outside of the house and drill through the exterior wall. Many people do not like the way it looks but technically as long as you use cable designed to be outside you will have a gigabit Ethernet running from the basement to your room.

Then again if you basement is open it is pretty easy to drill very close to a upstairs wall and put in a surface mount jack near the floor.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Trying to keep this as an option, but everything was finished when we bought the house. Already not sure how I'm going to do all of the wiring when I get a home theater set up down there some day. Any ideas for resources to run cables in finished areas? Are there tricks or devices when you don't have access?

Thanks.

Running cables in the walls/ceiling etc mostly requires the abilities to patch holes in dry wall and paint. The running the wire itself is mostly done with special long flexible drill bits.

Lots of youtube videos on how to do it since it is the same process as running new electrical wires.

It all depend how complex it is and how much time you have to mess around. I have finally master the ability to fix holes in dry wall that you can not see even when you look closely. Still takes me all day when a pro can get it done in a hour or so.

iamacow

Admirable
If you run the Ethernet cable outside, make sure you buy some that is rated for it. My old company had a camera on the roof and ran a thick CAT6 cable to it thinking it would be okay. Only took 6 months for the sunlight to ruin the plastic coating allowing water to get in. Came all the way into the server room. Cost about 15k in damages (just for the switches) just because some idiot ran indoor cable outside. Normal household cables won't due. That is unless you want water damage.

Solution