Identical RAMs not working

hastyrainy

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just bought another set of 2x 2GB DDR2 RAMs to add to my system, while already having the same setup. I bought HYMP125U64CP8-S6 as they are the exact same ones that I already have. After putting them in, the PC starts booting, goes to the screen where you have the option to go to BIOS (but if you press "DEL" it won't proceed to go there), and you see 41_______kb or so RAM, so it doesn't pick them up (I guess), after that the PC goes to do it all over, starts booting and when it gets to this screen, boots up again. The new RAMs work fine when alone, it even works when I put there one of the old ones and the new one together. (I tried different combinations with all four of them too) The MB should support up to 8GB. Not sure then, what the problem is, considering even one of the old and new work together.

PC specs here

Solution
The ram you purchased is double sided. According to the motherboard specifications, you can not use 4 double sided dimms in all 4 slots due to chipset limitations. This is from the Gigabyte Website for the motherboard list in your system specs:
"Because of chipset limitations
* To avoid the system being unable to start or the memory being incorrectly detected, if only one memory module is to be installed, we suggest that you install it on the DDR2_1 or DDR2_3 socket; to install two memory modules, we suggest that you install them on the DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 sockets.
* Do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to...

yman69

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
The ram you purchased is double sided. According to the motherboard specifications, you can not use 4 double sided dimms in all 4 slots due to chipset limitations. This is from the Gigabyte Website for the motherboard list in your system specs:
"Because of chipset limitations
* To avoid the system being unable to start or the memory being incorrectly detected, if only one memory module is to be installed, we suggest that you install it on the DDR2_1 or DDR2_3 socket; to install two memory modules, we suggest that you install them on the DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 sockets.
* Do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table."

You will need to check the memory configuration table in the manual to find out which type of ram configuration you can use to get to 8GB of ram.

Solution