[SOLVED] Identify BIOS chip on motherboard (need to manually flash BIOS)

Jan 27, 2021
Hello, I wonder can somebody help me locate the BIOS chip on my mobo, I need to attempt a reprogram using a CH341A adapter..

I have pictures here on google drive. First one being upclose of two chips i suspect being the BIOS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NoeO51ly5kvLU6gZKenkdccTFKeSyEE/view?usp=sharing

Second one being the full motherboard:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r2UnB1y_E7wfO4FUno9B3JBcPvkOhSaz/view?usp=sharing

Laptop: Asus Tuf A17 - FA706II
Motherboard: DAOBKXMB8D0 REV D / MODEL BKX

Surprisingly little information about the board online, and no schematics to be found.. :(
Thanking you.

Solution
The chip flagged in upper left appears to me to be a 25LB128....a 128Mb (16MB) serial flash. I found some instructions here on programming one in-situ (a different motherboard, of course). So that looks to be the BIOS EEPROM.

The chip flagged in lower right appears to be 25U8033, an 8 Mb (1MB) CMOS and too small to hold a machine BIOS for modern computers. So that would be the CMOS store for BIOS settings perhaps? Or BIOS for some other on-board device?
The chip flagged in upper left appears to me to be a 25LB128....a 128Mb (16MB) serial flash. I found some instructions here on programming one in-situ (a different motherboard, of course). So that looks to be the BIOS EEPROM.

The chip flagged in lower right appears to be 25U8033, an 8 Mb (1MB) CMOS and too small to hold a machine BIOS for modern computers. So that would be the CMOS store for BIOS settings perhaps? Or BIOS for some other on-board device?

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 27, 2021

Thank you this makes sense! The smaller chip might be related to the GPU settings. I will give it a go with the CH431 method that you mentioned. The laptop is bricked at the moment (no POST / no power LEDs / no screen output) hopefully only due to a corrupt BIOS. :)