Question Identify Correct Dell OS DVD For System Re-Installation?

killingtime

Honorable
Mar 7, 2018
Hi,

I've bought a number of different Dell computers over the years. All Win7. They all came with a DVD that states 'Operating System Already Installed On Your Computer' 'Windows 7 64 Bit'. I have these. Like this.

The problem is I don't know which DVD goes with which computer, as there is no model number on the DVD.

Can I use any DVD or is the DVD tied to the computer model? The wrong one will not have the correct drivers right?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've bought a number of different Dell computers over the years. All Win7. They all came with a DVD that states 'Operating System Already Installed On Your Computer' 'Windows 7 64 Bit'. I have these. Like this.

The problem is I don't know which DVD goes with which computer, as there is no model number on the DVD.

Can I use any DVD or is the DVD tied to the computer model? The wrong one will not have the correct drivers right?

Thanks.
That disc won't have drivers on it anyway. It's just a vanilla OS with no extra drivers except for what Windows provides. The product key is embedded into the BIOS on the system so when you boot to the disc it will automatically read it.

EDIT:
No, a particular DVD isn't tied to a particular system. They are mass produced. I'm a former DELL tech support manager.

I'm pretty sure windows 7 didn't have this feature, to load product key from BIOS.
This feature started from windows 8/8.1.
Nope, believe it or not, it existed way back with even Windows XP. We had to explain it to people on the daily why they didn't get a product key and the one on the side of their machine is blank. It's not a feature of the OS itself but is built into the programming of the BIOS hence one reason why DELL usually uses their own versions of BIOS firmwares.

EDIT #1: I just remembered that the sticker on those back then wasn't actually a product key but was a COA (Certificate of Authenticity).