[SOLVED] identify missing component.

Mar 18, 2021
hi folks, looking for some help to identify an smd component broken off my graphics card. i have attached some photo's (red triangle)which show where it's missing from and some photo's of the same component on the other side of the board(which sadly has no markings on). Any help greatly appreciated.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6649/ftONFl.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1508/iX8QuT.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6552/W1Y3kX.jpg

Mar 18, 2021
I think it is most likely an inductor.
It's appearance is similar.
Also...the PML1....if that's an L...and L signifies inductance.
Here is a similar looking inductor.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/aism-1210-2r7k-t/abracon
Hi, thanks for reply, yes it does say PML1 where the component is missing. the two on the top side of the card(circled in red) appear to be on the 3.3v line from the pcie connector. obviously i need to find the right one to fit. it there any way i can test the one's on the top side of the borad with a multimeter? to find out the value i need? many thanks.

Hi, thanks for reply, yes it does say PML1 where the component is missing. the two on the top side of the card(circled in red) appear to be on the 3.3v line from the pcie connector. obviously i need to find the right one to fit. it there any way i can test the one's on the top side of the borad with a multimeter? to find out the value i need? many thanks.
Typically multimeters don't read inductance. Not only that....measuring an inductor "in circuit" can give you the wrong value.

Reactions: helper800
Mar 18, 2021
Typically multimeters don't read inductance. Not only that....measuring an inductor "in circuit" can give you the wrong value.
looking around and it may also be a voltage regulator, which would make sense that the others are on the 3.3v line. i did think about bridging the gap where the component is missing with some wire but i'm worried it could fry the card. card is brand new so i'm hoping to fix it, especially now prices on cards are through the roof. thanks again.

Mar 18, 2021
You're welcome.

Voltage regulators typically have 3 terminals.

I don't think it's a voltage regulator.
Ah ok, ill keep searching down the inductor route. would help if they had put markings on it like most smd's but no. in my second photo you can see whatever it is bridges two points on the board and i used my multimeter and it has continuity through it. thanks again for reply.

Mar 18, 2021
Markings on surface mount components generally suck.

Continuity on the board or the inductor?

Inductors are a short to DC....so the inductor would show continuity with a meter.

If the board is showing continuity....that doesn't tell you much.
continuity through the inductor, but as you say that doesn't tell me much. Any idea if i just bridge the gap with some wire(just as a test) any damage it may cause?

Continuity through and inductor using a meter set to resistance is a sign the inductor is good.

"Any idea if i just bridge the gap with some wire(just as a test) any damage it may cause? "
I tend to doubt it would be very catastrophic....and I think there's a good chance you might not see anything happen. You could try a resistor in there as well.

It's also possible the board isn't working due to something totally different.

Mar 18, 2021
Continuity through and inductor using a meter set to resistance is a sign the inductor is good.

"Any idea if i just bridge the gap with some wire(just as a test) any damage it may cause? "
I tend to doubt it would be very catastrophic....and I think there's a good chance you might not see anything happen. You could try a resistor in there as well.

It's also possible the board isn't working due to something totally different.
this is a brand new card, the seller owns a company selling new items and this one was returned as faulty but the buyer had damaged it(broken off the component) and i'm sure once i find out what the missing componet is it will be up and running again. In my second photo i'm thinking of removing that one and bridging the gap with solder and putting the inductor i remove on to the pml1 where the same component is missing but obviously i'm worried abut burning out other components if i do this. thanks for your reply.

this is a brand new card, the seller owns a company selling new items and this one was returned as faulty but the buyer had damaged it(broken off the component) and i'm sure once i find out what the missing componet is it will be up and running again. In my second photo i'm thinking of removing that one and bridging the gap with solder and putting the inductor i remove on to the pml1 where the same component is missing but obviously i'm worried abut burning out other components if i do this. thanks for your reply.
I understand.
Obviously it would be great to know what it is.
I'll poke around and if I find anything I'll reply back.
Here's something though...instead of shorting it...I think putting any inductor in there would be better.

Mar 18, 2021
I understand.
Obviously it would be great to know what it is.
I'll poke around and if I find anything I'll reply back.
Here's something though...instead of shorting it...I think putting any inductor in there would be better.
Ok ill see if i can find a similar dimension inductor and do a bit of trial and error. i'm going to contact asus to see if they will be kind enough to help(with identifying it) but i doubt they will. thanks again.

Mar 18, 2021
If the card is brand new you can always return it to the seller for a new one if they have replacement stock, which they should, or at minimum RMA the card.
i bought it cheap knowing it had a missing component so rma is out, but it is the only thing wrong with it so ill persevere with it. thanks for your reply.

Mar 18, 2021
If you contact the the company that made the card they are usually forthcoming with helpful information on component's. They sometimes will offer to repair the card for a fee as well.
yeah i'm thinking ill try asus first and see if they can offer advice, shame they don't just release schematics for their cards. Also just to add it's 5mmx4mmx4mm just fyi. thanks for everyones replys so far.

Mar 18, 2021
Asus as expected were next to useless, they said it was a mosfet(it's not), so i went ghetto and soldered a 6r8 inductor in and it works, passed all 3d mark tests, i have a better suited inductor on order, same values but will fit the footprint of the missing component. thanks for all your help identifying it as an inductor. decent little card for £30. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9220/tZ18C3.jpg

Asus as expected were next to useless, they said it was a mosfet(it's not), so i went ghetto and soldered a 6r8 inductor in and it works, passed all 3d mark tests, i have a better suited inductor on order, same values but will fit the footprint of the missing component. thanks for all your help identifying it as an inductor. decent little card for £30. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9220/tZ18C3.jpg
When ghetto gets the job done you gucci.