Question Identify & remove Thermaltake cooler

Appin

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Hi,

I need to remove the Thermaltake CPU cooler that came pre-installed in my PC. It is on an Asus P8P67 LE motherboard (LGA 1155) and is about 10 years old. I can't see any indication of a model number.

It looks to me as though the only way to remove it is by unscrewing the nuts & screws on the rear of the motherboard. I fear that this could damage the CPU as it will be under tension.

My understanding is that coolers normally come in at least two parts - a bracket / frame which attaches to the motherboard, and the cooler itself which attaches to the bracket. Unfortunately I can't see any indication of a separate bracket.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of cooler and can advise on the best way to remove it. I have emailed Thermaltake but they haven't replied (yet).

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

[Link to photos] View: https://imgur.com/a/jI5xGcK

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not sure why unscrewing the back would damage the CPU. There's force being applied to the CPU, but unscrewing the bracket removes that force very quickly.

In any case, to remove the top, if there are separate screws, you'll likely have to remove the fan first, which is held to the heatsink with those thin metal clips.

It may not even be a Thermaltake cooler. It may just be a Thermaltake fan stuck on a basic cooler that the prebuilt company had on hand.

Appin

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
I'm not sure why unscrewing the back would damage the CPU. There's force being applied to the CPU, but unscrewing the bracket removes that force very quickly.

In any case, to remove the top, if there are separate screws, you'll likely have to remove the fan first, which is held to the heatsink with those thin metal clips.

It may not even be a Thermaltake cooler. It may just be a Thermaltake fan stuck on a basic cooler that the prebuilt company had on hand.

Hi,
Thanks for this. I saw a picture online of someone who unscrewed his cooler and it pinged off and damaged the motherboard. I was just wary of repeating his mistake.
Thanks again :)

TRENDING THREADS