Identify USB-Controller in Verbatim Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightforlife

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hey,
i recently bought a Verbatim Store n Save USB 3.0 Superspeed 3tb hard drive. Model #47673

I'd like to update the fimware of the chip inside the case, in order to use the Full 3TB as a single partition.
But how can i identfiy the chip inside? i know its also used in some Freecom products.
Some Ideas?

fightforlife

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Too bad....
Sad to say verbatim doesnt has a user forum, and the support isnt repsonding.
I tried in the Freecom forum, but there i also didnt get an response.

i know the chip isnt a jmicron or a asmedia. What else could it be? Is freecom itself developing usb bridges?

chronostream

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Yeah the Verbatim 47673. Tried all the JMicron firmware updates - none of them recognized the controller. I really wanted a single 3T GPT partition... so I cracked the casing open. :eek: Not a good idea. You really have to BREAK it open. Inside you will find a Seagate 3TB Barracuda ST3000DM001 7200RPM drive. The controller is a Fujitsu MB86C311A. Tried to find updated firmware for it, but was not successful.

anettbayer

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Sounds like bad luck - I bought one of them because it was less expensive or at the same price a of a regular 3 TB harddisk a few weeks ago. I thought I could easily open the case and use it as "docking station" for other drives...

May I ask you to upload some pictures from inside the cracked case in order not to damage the internal drive when I try to open it up?

Thanks a lot!

justm3

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Wanted to use my 3tb in a single partition too and stumbled upon a solution so simple it's stupid.
All I had to do was to use software that came with the HDD and select from there to make it single partition and it configured the whole thing right. And BTW as far as I know the firmware is pretty new and there's not anything newer.

Q-Class

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Well, I just bought the 2TB Store 'n' Save just to use the drive inside and here are my pictures.. seems impossible to open it and not destroy some of the hooks.
The hooks from the top and bottom. They hook into each other inside a "tube" on the side casing.
A big flat screwdriver jammed in between the top lid and the side casing... Twist and the hooks snaps...

Hope it helps.

callboy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Thank you for uploading Verbatim disassemble pictures. It's very helpful for me.

:bounce:

It seems to be impossible to disassemble without special tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.