Question Identifying Blown Component: Gigabyte RTX 3090

Aug 6, 2022
As stated I'm trying to identify a blown component on my GPU (Gigabyte RTX 3090). I recently posted asking for help getting my GPU to be recognized as it just stopped working suddenly, and I ended up taking it apart to look for anything that was obviously wrong. I end up finding what I believe is a "Small Outline Transistor" (SOT) and confirmed that it was blown apart by comparing with this high-res image of the back of the board. I'd really like to repair this card and I'm hoping replacing that component will fix it. Here is an image of my board with the blown component circled. It's located in the bottom right of the high-res image linked. Any help in identifying what exactly this component is/where I can purchase it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
No remaining warranty?

And I trust that you have the necessary soldering skills etc. to remove the blown component and reinstall a replacement.

Unfortunately, even if so, you will need the GPU schematic along with the specs for individual components.

Manufacturers do not want end users (or anyone) to be able to make such repairs.

I attempted to "map" the components. With the blown component as the center of a clock I see a component labeled "700" at roughly the 10 o'clock position.

On the high-res image, the same component is labeled as "NRM16" as near as I can determine.

Try googling labels and see if you can discover some match.

Aug 6, 2022
No remaining warranty?

And I trust that you have the necessary soldering skills etc. to remove the blown component and reinstall a replacement.

Unfortunately, even if so, you will need the GPU schematic along with the specs for individual components.

Manufacturers do not want end users (or anyone) to be able to make such repairs.

I attempted to "map" the components. With the blown component as the center of a clock I see a component labeled "700" at roughly the 10 o'clock position.

On the high-res image, the same component is labeled as "NRM16" as near as I can determine.

Try googling labels and see if you can discover some match.
Bought off of eBay, waiting for response about warranty information. I'm confident I can replace the component, I just don't know what it is/where to find it. Thanks for the response.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the parts in a gpu are so specific and exacting, there's simply no places to get one other than 2 possibilities. Another donor card or directly from the manufacturer and most times they don't deal in retail public sales.

It's a 3090. It should still be under warranty. I'd go that avenue first, if for no other reason than you have absolutely no idea what caused that component to blow or if it's going to happen again if fixed. Another component could have failed, shows no visible signs of failure but be dumping double the amperage/voltage of the burned SOT capacity to handle. Fix it twice, same burned out results and a voided warranty due to obvious tampering since your solder job will not look factory.

Reactions: Ralston18

InvalidError

Titan
Deep into the monitor output area of the board, I'd guess the SOT23 chip is either a diode pack for ESD clamping on a signal line or a current limiting chip for the 5V DP/HDMI bus.

The HD image isn't HD enough to read the chip's marking. though it appears to be the same SOT23 device as the next port up on the HD picture so you can look that one up on your board.