[SOLVED] Identifying Faulty Hardware (RAM or MOBO?)

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Hi,

So I have been having this problem for some time now, but now it's getting more frustrating and I do have the budget to have it replaced.

Scenario: Sometimes, I am not getting Display when I turn on my PC.

The basic fix is actually the RAM. I just have to reseat it. But the problem is, sometimes it doesn't work.

So I thought it may be the RAM, but it could also be the RAM Socket of the Motherboard right? Here's what I have already done.

For troubleshooting the no display I usually start with 1 stick of RAM. Then try to plug it in the 4 slots, whichever one gets display.

Once I figured that out, I will install RAM B. But regardless of which slot I put it into. It wouldn't work. Now, I'm gonna pull out RAM B and try to start it again, it wouldn't start at all.

Now I tried it again this time using RAM B in Slot A1 and i haven't used my RAM A. it boots up with the display.

Before (yes, this happened many times now) I just need to wait some more time and try installing RAM A and it will work regardless of which slot it's in.

It's all good, but I don't want to have frustrations with regards to this as it's very irritating. Please help me figure out which one to replace.

Solution
Ram will have a lifetime warranty.
To see if any of your sticks are defective, install one in the slot your motherboard manual designates.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If each stick tests out ok, then test the full installation.

Are all of the stick from the same kit?
If not, there may be some incompatibilities; all ram must be matched?

What is the make/model of your motherboard...

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
How old is the computer? With ram in place, turn off pc, set the psu switch to off position, un plug the computer from its outlet, then press the on button to the pc for 20 seconds. Then plug back in, turn on psu power switch and then power up pc. See if this helps.
Hmm, 2years old. Bought this around Aug of 2019.

Will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thank you for your reply!

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
How old is the computer? With ram in place, turn off pc, set the psu switch to off position, un plug the computer from its outlet, then press the on button to the pc for 20 seconds. Then plug back in, turn on psu power switch and then power up pc. See if this helps.

Currently, only 1 RAM Stick is installed. So, from here. Do i turn off computer, switch off PSU, unplug PC from AVR then Outlet. Install 2nd RAM, Press on button for 20 seconds. Then plug back to the outlet, switch on PSU, thenn power up pc?

To see if any of your sticks are defective, install one in the slot your motherboard manual designates.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

What is the make/model of your motherboard and ram?
Are they compatible?

Solution

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Hi, sorry had been busy the past few days. So, i just turned on my pc yesterday. And it doesnt boot anymore. It seems botting up, light are on, fans are on. RGB on the RAM are on. But no display.

I already tried to Reseat RAMs, RAM A to Slot A1,A2,B1,B2. Still not booting. Tried to do it the same on RAM B to Slot A1,A2,B1,B2. Still not booting. However, the RGB on the RAM has lights on it. This is really frustrating now :( Should i replace the RAM or the Mobo?

What other troubleshooting can i do?

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019

What is the make/model of your motherboard and ram?
Are they compatible?

Can i still do memtest if i cant get it to bootup?
I just need to put the installer on a removable drive?
Also an update, as of now with just 1 stick it doesnt boot at all. I've tried it on both RAM's and all slots individually. But still no boot.

Yes, the RAM is from the same kit.

Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-A
RAM: Avexir Core 2

When you say boot, do you mean boot to bios, or boot to windows?
You make the memtest usb stick the first boot device and it should load in memtest and give you options to test ram.
If you can't even get into the bios, that becomes a different problem.
Start with just one stick and put it in the slot that your motherboard needs for single stick operation.
Ram does need some force to get it seated in the slot.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
When you say boot, do you mean boot to bios, or boot to windows?
You make the memtest usb stick the first boot device and it should load in memtest and give you options to test ram.
If you can't even get into the bios, that becomes a different problem.
Start with just one stick and put it in the slot that your motherboard needs for single stick operation.
Ram does need some force to get it seated in the slot.

No it doesnt even boot to bios. When i turn on the pc, there is no display.

And yes, i've already tried to reseat RAM. Previously (Just 2 days ago) it was working under RAM A on Slot A1. When i turned it on yesterday, it doesnt boot (no display) so what i did is reseat RAM A on Slot A2, same. Then Slot B1, same. Then Slot B2, same. Then i removed RAM A then replaced it with RAM B on Slot A1, same. Slot A2, same. Slot B1, same. Then Slot B2, same.

So basically, my pc doesnt have display now. And when i turn on, the fans and its lights does turn on.

InvalidError

Titan
I seriously doubt the RAM has anything to do with your failure to boot problem, any RAM that seriously defective wouldn't allow you to use the system to any meaningful extent..

Random failure to boot with the system usually working fine until it is shut down again is far more frequently caused by a flaky PSU struggling to get through power-up and boot time, typically due to a bad 5VSB rail.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
I got my PC diagnosed by a technician. It turns out my GPU (transistors) burned. I didnt thought of checking the card myself -.-

As per thr technician, everything else is good. Not a good time to be buying new GPU :(

Thank you everyone for all your response!