[SOLVED] Identifying what needs cooling for OC

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
Hey guys,
I've had some problems since in changed the CPU cooler on my 4790K (went from a Raijintek Themis Evo to a Cryorig R1 Universal), i've asked for some help here on the Forums a few months ago for help ID'ing the cause for my CPU to clock down when it went anywhere close to 70ºC (at around 67ºC it would clock down to Non-Turbo, 4Ghz, and if it was on higher loads, it would drop to 800mhz).
No one answered but i researched through a bunch of old threads and narrowed down my issue to a possible VRM overheat, due to the case having a fan on the side panel that was exactly over the cooler, and this cooler being bigger, makes sense that it would be covering the VRM.
I then purchased some thermal pads, and a Raspberry Pi heatsink kit to put on the VRM.
Fast forward a month, and the problem is still present, meaning that the VRM wasn't the issue.

So, i ask everyone who reads this, tell me what needs cooling on my motherboard so i know what to do to solve this.
Mobo Pic (B85M-G PLUS): View: https://imgur.com/a/afkxzWm
(the Red circle is what currently has a Heatsink, the DIGI+ VRM)

P.S. With my old cooler, i managed to get my 4790K to 4.8 @ 1.3v without clock downs, the temps were way above what i'd like (hit 82ºC once) hence why changed cooler.

Solution
That is only one VRM chip, the board has several (Though a small number for the CPU you are running) Have you monitored motherboard temperatures when experiencing this problem?

Next to the chokes (R68 squares) are little chips, each one of those is a VRM. Also looks like a minor one to the right of the memory, it is probably fine though.

In this situation, I would probably just go ahead and get a better motherboard. Not really a board designed to handle K series chips.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is only one VRM chip, the board has several (Though a small number for the CPU you are running) Have you monitored motherboard temperatures when experiencing this problem?

Next to the chokes (R68 squares) are little chips, each one of those is a VRM. Also looks like a minor one to the right of the memory, it is probably fine though.

In this situation, I would probably just go ahead and get a better motherboard. Not really a board designed to handle K series chips.

Solution

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
Have you monitored motherboard temperatures when experiencing this problem?
All sensors report normal temps, nothing overheating as far as i've seen.
If you've read everything i wrote above, i said that this wasn't a problem until the new Cryorig was covering the motherboard.

Alright, i appreciate the input. I think i've got some more heatsinks that are great for those.

Every single person says that, but this mobo is stupid good for both the price and the fact that it's a B85.
Also, too much hassle to do so. Would need to reinstall W10 and buy another case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is a reason people don't usually pair up a K series chip with a budget board. 3+1 VRM config I think on this board, pretty poor. No heatsinks on the VRMs, also not great. Adding heatsinks is a good approach, getting a fan in that area to deal with the heat is also good.

I use a water cooler, so I have my rear fan acting as intake to get some cool air over the VRMs. Probably not necessary, but it also feeds the exhaust radiator up top, so does double duty and gives me peace of mind.

Your high end boards will have more robust VRMs, usually pairs in parallel 8 or 10 or 12 phases with large heatsink blocks covering them, so airflow is less important.

Windows 10 license depends on how you have it registered. If you pair it with a Microsoft account, it is basically yours to carry forward. Worst comes to worst you can also claim the old board died and activate over the phone. Which almost every time I have tried, is fully automated. I had to talk to a person once during a laptop repair with no installation disc. Basically, gave me an activation code and blacklisted the previous one, which was a good result in my book. Not to mention that you can basically use Windows 10 for free perpetually. MS knows it makes more from OEMs and data mining then people who actually buy Windows. I think they have given up.

You can likely find a Mini-ITX Z87 board, I have a Gigabyte one in my HTPC (though only an i3-4130T in it), that should fit in every chassis, more or less. Z97 might a little harder to track down.

If you need a MicroATX for some reason, they also exist, though that would mean finding one used.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
There is a reason people don't usually pair up a K series chip with a budget board. 3+1 VRM config I think on this board, pretty poor. No heatsinks on the VRMs, also not great. Adding heatsinks is a good approach, getting a fan in that area to deal with the heat is also good.

I use a water cooler, so I have my rear fan acting as intake to get some cool air over the VRMs. Probably not necessary, but it also feeds the exhaust radiator up top, so does double duty and gives me peace of mind.

Your high end boards will have more robust VRMs, usually pairs in parallel 8 or 10 or 12 phases with large heatsink blocks covering them, so airflow is less important.

Windows 10 license depends on how you have it registered. If you pair it with a Microsoft account, it is basically yours to carry forward. Worst comes to worst you can also claim the old board died and activate over the phone. Which almost every time I have tried, is fully automated. I had to talk to a person once during a laptop repair with no installation disc. Basically, gave me an activation code and blacklisted the previous one, which was a good result in my book. Not to mention that you can basically use Windows 10 for free perpetually. MS knows it makes more from OEMs and data mining then people who actually buy Windows. I think they have given up.

You can likely find a Mini-ITX Z87 board, I have a Gigabyte one in my HTPC (though only an i3-4130T in it), that should fit in every chassis, more or less. Z97 might a little harder to track down.

If you need a MicroATX for some reason, they also exist, though that would mean finding one used.
Alright. Thank you for the answers. I think i've got all the info i needed.