IDE's not recognized.

G

When I turn on my computer, it is not recognizing my primary hard drive. If I go into the bios, however, it sees it. Please help the ignorant. I'm lost on what to do. I have a ASUS CUSL2-C. Actually, none of my IDE's are being recognized????

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Did this problem just start or have you changed something?

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
So is it failing the automatic detection on the screen when it first boots?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

It just started. I have a WD that is the C Drive and a CDR on the secondary. I bought a Maxtor 60gig that I was about to format. Everything showed up on start up. After a power down, I put in a Netgear card. The system did lock up once and I finally had to shut down. Bigger problem is that I can't totally retrace my steps.

Now it sees nothing - except in the bios.

G

"So is it failing the automatic detection on the screen when it first boots?"

Yes.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Does this happen with both of your hard drives or only the WD? If it only happens to one of them, there's a good chance it's that specific drive causing the problem. Are you sure that you have the jumpers correct?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

It's happening with everything. Nothing is being recognized. The drives, the CD ROM, nothing.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Did you install the network card before you formated your new HD? If so, I would remove the network card and tell us what happens when you restart.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

The network card never made it to "install". It's already out and I've restarted to no avail. I think something must have happened when I couldn't do a clean power down. It wouldn't power up normally. It would instead take me to the: Boot with CD ROM, without???etc..??

Nonetheless, it doesn't see anything.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Have you set your jumpers correctly on the HDs? Slave/master?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Ok, I guess your saying the jumpers are right. What version is you BIOS? This same problem came up several days ago just like you are having. (I also have the same ASUS board.)

G

Version 1003. As of now, I only have the WD drive and the CDR drive connected. Both show up in the bios but it's very sluggish. I first have to cursor to the ex. Primary Master, hit AUTO and then when I return back to that screen, it shows the WD drive where the AUTO previously was. Very odd.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Download and install the latest BIOS 1009. It will fix your problem.

G

Yes (he said humbly). I've just downloaded the latest version and I'm looking at the manual and it's like Japanese on the first read. A few friends have warned me about this procedure.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Stand by and I will send the directions. While I am doing that, can you format a floppy disk and make it bootable?

G

I'm pretty sure I already have a boot disk. I unzipped the cscb1009.zip file and all that was extracted was cscb1009.awd. It says that's a FaxView Document??? Could I be unzipping incorrectly?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Double check your Bios Download. I think you need Cslc1009.

G

I just got aflash.exe and I'm re-downloading the correct bios. Thanks for the lookout.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Ok! When you are ready let me know and I will send the rest or we can do it step at a time. It is up to you.

G

I'm ready. Whichever is easiest. I am a complete novice when it comes to this. Thanks.