Idiot needing help

geremof

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help with my networking woes.

I have Orange UK home broadband. We've had a lot of trouble with their livebox, they sent us an N150 netgear and that was even worse. I live in a very small flat 0.6 miles away from an exchange and my phoneline has been checked by BT, they said it's all good. Tried various channels etc to no avail.

So I thought it must be the hardware – went online to find the best router I could find, was whilling to pay around £100.
THE 'ASUS RT-N56U' the people of the internet cried!! The reviews were 90% fantastic, looked the dogs bollocks so I indulged hoping to atleast have a decent connection!

Package arrives, connect line to router, wirelessly connect to PC. Not working.
Was very suprised to find out that I needed a bloody modem on top of this!!!! Most of the recommendations for this product were under top 5 gaming routers, I had no idea they still made seperate routers/modems! Why do they?!

So finally to my question after all these errors!
This router is supposed to be fantastic. How am I supposed to benefit from it? Do I need a pricey modem also? Or will anything around the 24mbps modem mark do?

I was looking at this:
http://www.nepstore.co.uk/product_TP-TD-8616/TPLink_TD8616_ADSL22_Ethernet_Modem.htm

Any other help on how to successfully get up and running would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards
Richard

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you need a dsl modem to use dsl, and then most folks take that output from the RJ-45 jack and go to the WAN port of a nice modem -- and the one you bought is very nice -- then configure your network wired and wireless so that you can connect multiple devices.

You could do with a lesser router, like a DLink DIR-655, but what you bought is top notch and I would keep it.

Look over the router manual, but most of the important settings are default set to what you need. Just enter a security passcode so others don't steal your wireless signal -- write it down as you will need to enter it for all wireless devices. Post any problems that you encounter and you can get specific answers.

geremof

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks very much for the speedy reply and clarification Realbeast, really appreciate it.

Do you have any opinion on the modem I listed? It's not too undermatched for the nice piece of kit I have?