News Idiot-proof' thermal paste applicator to make TIM application easier than ever — X-Apply stencils coming soon

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
money grab nonsense. Some people are reapplying paste every year or 2 years cause some youtuber told them... meanwhile oem or "prebuilt" consumers leave that thing running for about 5 to 10 years not even dusting it without any issues.

Reactions: I

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Na, I'll stick to manually spreading liquid metal over my IHS. This is just silly, but I'm sure there are people that can't do such a simple thing properly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only good for consistency while testing. Outside of that, maybe if they were included with the thermal paste tubes they would have some utility.

OEMs tend to use less thermally conductive long life thermal compounds. Aftermarket ones that prioritize thermal performance often have shorter lifespans due to pump out and other factors.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Bad idea. Create something like this and it entices people who were especially inept at doing new things, laymen at PC building and they will find a way to screw it up, in ways that boggle the mind yet still happen anyway.

I too have seen the crazy youtube *advice* to reapply thermal compound even at such short intervals of yearly. I never had a problem with never reapplying compound, unless I was taking the heatsink off anyway.

Granted that's within the context of using reasonable quality heatsink grease, not the stuff your father used (transistor era, building stereos/etc) which was just zinc oxide in silicone oil and that did separate out into zinc oxide islands of dry paste after enough years of thermal cycling. I do sometimes see that still happening with PSUs when they get older, though by that age, many had already failed for another reason which was why I had them open to notice that in the first place.