[SOLVED] Idk if my gpu or power is okay help fast :>)

Solution
An RX 580 can use ~190w under load. With the 75w from the pci-e slot and 150w from an 8-pin connector this usually isn't a problem if the PSU is decent. Now a 6-pin connector is only rated for 75w so with the 75w from the pci-e slot that still leaves you ~40w and since the card thinks that there is an 8-pin plugged in it's going to be pulling ~105w(under full load) from a connector rated for 75w.

It's also a very likely your "500w" psu isn't actually a 500w psu by modern standards and is of low quality as even most mediocre 500w PSU's have at least 1 6+2 pin connector.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd replace it when PSU pricing normalizes as it is a low quality unit. With a better quality unit you may not see as many dips or lessened dips but if your not really experiencing performance dips I wouldn't worry too much now but eventually get a good quality 550W unit.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
I'd replace it when PSU pricing normalizes as it is a low quality unit. With a better quality unit you may not see as many dips or lessened dips but if your not really experiencing performance dips I wouldn't worry too much now but eventually get a good quality 550W unit.
soo... i have one platinum ms400atx p4 400w but idk if it will be enough, so i dont have to worry abut my gpu and i can play everything normaly?

Dec 3, 2019
Just use your current one for now since it seems to be working fine for your uses.

How long have you been using the RX 580 with that PSU?
a day, i know but im so worried about something happening to gpu and stuff you know... people told me not to use adapter for gpu but i had to cause it was a cheaper way...

WildCard999

Titan
a day, i know but im so worried about something happening to gpu and stuff you know... people told me not to use adapter for gpu but i had to cause it was a cheaper way...
I'd return the GPU and get something that uses less power and has close performance to the RX 580, like the 1650 Super or spend like $100 USD and get a decent PSU.

When I was less experienced I ruined a few GPUs with underpowered PSU's so taking that risk is not really a good idea. Even having to use adapters isn't ideal as we've seen a few threads were some have actually melted.

Dec 3, 2019
I'd return the GPU and get something that uses less power and has close performance to the RX 580, like the 1650 Super or spend like $100 USD and get a decent PSU.

When I was less experienced I ruined a few GPUs with underpowered PSU's so taking that risk is not really a good idea.
The gpu was not bought from the store i paid 100 dollars so... yea i cant return it i think ill buy new psu... can i send you name and pic of new psu when i decide which one i want to buy just to confirm it ill buy okay one
...and by the way i just changed psu to ms platinum one and i succeeded finishing userbenchmark test www.userbenchmark.com which i could not finish with psu i had the logic one, it would just crash when it started checking gpu ...

Dec 3, 2019
Dec 3, 2019
I would be very worried about this. An 8-pin connector is rated for 150w, 6-pin is only 75w and an RX580 needs more power than the slot and a 6-pin can provide. 6pin to 8-pin adapters have been known to catch fire as they make it so that the 6-pin cable gets overloaded and very hot.
yea but look at this... it does not
I would be very worried about this. An 8-pin connector is rated for 150w, 6-pin is only 75w and an RX580 needs more power than the slot and a 6-pin can provide. 6pin to 8-pin adapters have been known to catch fire as they make it so that the 6-pin cable gets overloaded and very hot.
https://prnt.sc/stvfc2 the power consumption on gpu is much greater than 75 w if that makes sense

bignastyid

Titan
An RX 580 can use ~190w under load. With the 75w from the pci-e slot and 150w from an 8-pin connector this usually isn't a problem if the PSU is decent. Now a 6-pin connector is only rated for 75w so with the 75w from the pci-e slot that still leaves you ~40w and since the card thinks that there is an 8-pin plugged in it's going to be pulling ~105w(under full load) from a connector rated for 75w.

It's also a very likely your "500w" psu isn't actually a 500w psu by modern standards and is of low quality as even most mediocre 500w PSU's have at least 1 6+2 pin connector.

Solution
Dec 3, 2019

Well browsing the net and watching stuff can be done on the 4160's iGPU. I really wouldn't risk that RX 580.
i have old GT 710 but yea... well then i wont be able to play league of legends on high settings :,D nvm thanks