[SOLVED] Idle core-clock fluctuation too high? [Diagram]

OneApples

Commendable
Mar 9, 2019
Hello everyone reading this,
1080ti

now, I know that the GPU clocks up to help with 3D rendering, even when browsing the web or Windows, but my GPU always clocks up to 99% for some seconds.

I'm scared that this might lead to my PSU giving up or resistors popping, is there any way to limit the gpu to reduce the fluctuations?

Ps.: My GPU already clicks when clocking down, sounds unhealthy, would love to have that happen less often.

Thank you.

Solution
sounds like coil-whine
I have pretty much already ruled that out for me personally, the sound is a random clicking, happens mostly when idling, definitely coming from the GPU.

My cards fans are locked :rolleyes: at min. 40% speed, card is running at 19 Degrees C, I have already tried completely un-(and re-) installing GPU drivers with DDU, that didn't fix the fluctuation issue tho'.

Thanks.

chris11d7

Honorable
May 5, 2014
Make sure your drivers are up to date! Even try uninstalling them and manually installing the latest from NVIDIA. You could download software from your GPU reseller, (normally Asus, EVGA, MSI...) and lower the voltage a bit if you are nervous of the GPU breaking, the voltage is normally a lot higher than necessary for QOS reasons. Lowering this will keep your resistors safe, and have the rest of the card run a bit cooler (up to 35% from my tests). Lowering the voltage may also help with the clicking, as this sounds like coil-whine (when an inductor is overpowered, it can begin to play frequencies, this is how speakers are made). Give this a try and let us know!

Thank you,

Chris

OneApples

Commendable
Mar 9, 2019
sounds like coil-whine
I have pretty much already ruled that out for me personally, the sound is a random clicking, happens mostly when idling, definitely coming from the GPU.

My cards fans are locked :rolleyes: at min. 40% speed, card is running at 19 Degrees C, I have already tried completely un-(and re-) installing GPU drivers with DDU, that didn't fix the fluctuation issue tho'.

Thanks.

Solution