Question Idle PC uses 100% of GPU and freezes out ?

Seikus

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Hi guys,

I have new system up and running, but have a weird issue sometimes, that happens randomly once every few days or even weeks. It's not consistent.

It happened today as well, I had browser open and sound cloud playing music, noticed that it's frozen but music still playing, Task Manager shows GPU usage of 100% but there are no processes that shows anything. PC is kinda frozen but not 100% so you couldn't do anything. I can see many people having same issues with Gigabyte, I think I started to regret that I built it, always was an Asus fan.. I googled it but cannot find a solution yet. There are not errors, or BSOD, events log also doesn't really show anything. These are my specs:

MB: Gigabyte B460 Aorus PRO
CPU: Intel i7-10700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1060

First issue I had was with RAM's and Gigabyte software interfering with Corsair software which was fixed, now I don't understand what else could be wrong here, never had such issue in last 20 years :D

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried a clean boot?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

i would suggest safe mode but if its not consistent, its not worth it.

run hwinfo logging and see if it sees anything on the times it crashes
download hwinfo - https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
when you start it, click the box next to sensors only and click run
in next window, click the button next to clock that says "Logging start" when you hover over it
this opens file explorer, lets you name a log file so you can identify it later
the resulting file is in csv format that can be read in excel or Google docs. If you want, can upload results and we can see if it shows any clues.

Does it matter what browser?

try anti virus scans? malewarescans?

using Gigabyte, no problems. Could be I am just lucky, I don't want to give PC any ideas so I shut up now :)

i don't know how you find out, retro actively what was using GPU. Plenty of ways to find it if its not frozen, but unless there is a log hidden somewhere, I don't know about afterwards.

Seikus

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Hi, yes I did, still persists.

It's not malware issue either. I've noticed more frequent system crashes if RAM XMP is enabled, if it's disabled it still crashes but not that often.

Also, my rams are at 40C or above on idle, isn't this too high?

rams.jpg