[SOLVED] idle temeperature of Ryzen 5 3600

Jul 2, 2020
Hello, I am a newbie regarding PC. I would like to know what is the idle temperature of Ryzen 5 3600? I am getting temperature of 42c but it suddenly jumps to 53c and sometimes 60c as MSI Afterburner gives me the information. FYI I am using Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240R with MSI B450 Tomahawk Max mobo.

Solution
Bottom line:
-during light loads, the cpu is very frequently seen boosting to it advertised single thread max frequency, but very few of those threads are active at a time.
That boosting has caught many new owners off guard - it is normal, and nothing to worry about.

-during heavy loads, the cpu isn't frequently boosting like above, but instead tries to boost all active threads towards the single thread max frequency - depending on temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bottom line:
-during light loads, the cpu is very frequently seen boosting to it advertised single thread max frequency, but very few of those threads are active at a time.
That boosting has caught many new owners off guard - it is normal, and nothing to worry about.

-during heavy loads, the cpu isn't frequently boosting like above, but instead tries to boost all active threads towards the single thread max frequency - depending on temps.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Will depend on your ambient temps & overall cooling solution.

As a very loose baseline, idle temps will typically be 10-15'C higher than ambient in a lot of cases, assuming 'off the shelf' components, nothing exotic (coolers, cases, case fans, thermal paste)

Overall, ~42'C doesn't seem too bad, maybe a little warm.

The boost setup of Ryzen 3000 chips will see those spike, as with clocks boosting, voltage increases. Increased voltage = increased heat.

Ultimately, what matters at the end of the day, is your load temps.

Hello, I am a newbie regarding PC. I would like to know what is the idle temperature of Ryzen 5 3600? I am getting temperature of 42c but it suddenly jumps to 53c and sometimes 60c as MSI Afterburner gives me the information. FYI I am using Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240R with MSI B450 Tomahawk Max mobo.

Turn PBO off if you're running it...all it does is add heat and help on a few benchmarks...the real world improvement isn't worth the extra heat.

Reactions: Phaaze88