[SOLVED] Idle temp vs full load

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
I have a r5 2600 on an msi pro carbon ac with a corsair h80. I recently change my cases. My old case wasnt necessarily thermally great but my cpu would idle in low 40's consistently and at full load stress test would reach 70-75c. In the new case my idle varies a lot. It will jump from 48-60c without too much additional load, but under stress test it still will normally stay under 65c. Looking how theres not much variation between idle and stress it concerns me. Is there anything i should be looking at to get my idle temps back down? I've reapplied thermal paste and reseated the heatsink a couple of times with not much difference.

EDIT: Main concern is temps arent correct.

Last edited:
Solution
Because it's a Ryzen. They use dynamic boost which in part is regulated by temps. If temps allow, it'll boost higher.

So with a case and crappy airflow, you'll get load temps of 80 and a mediocre boost. In a case with better airflow, it'll still run 80, but boosts higher.

At idle, Ryzen shuts down all the cores except one. That core sees the entire load of any background processes. So every time something starts up, like Antivirus etc, you get several processes and services enabled simultaneously. All on that one core. So it's not the cpu heating up to 60's, it just that single hottest core.

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Does the new case have more/ any fans that are variable RPM whereas the old case didn't?
I used nzxt's grid in my old case. the new case is an NZXT h510i elite so im using the device that it comes with instead. Seems all the variable rpms should work similarly. Old case had 9 120mm fans (4 being setup for a push pull setup in cpu and gpu aio) but being an inwin 303 it was not known for its best thermals. The nzxt has the 2 big fans in front and then 4 additional fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Old case had 9 120mm fans (4 being setup for a push pull setup in cpu and gpu aio) but being an inwin 303 it was not known for its best thermals.
Was it really that bad?

the new case is an NZXT h510i elite
You kinda took 1 step forward and 1 step back... the H510 Elite isn't known for it's thermals either.
There's also no mention of gpu thermal performance between the 2 chassis...

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
The 303 didnt seem too terrible imo, I just wanted a change after a couple of years. From the research I did the 510 elite would be slightly better. Thermals for the GPU are actually slightly cooler in the h510. Temps are consistent when it comes to gpu. Could it be the Corsair pump finally showing its age?

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
For the 303, you did:
-bottom intake
-rear exhaust
-side exhaust
303 had 3 fans at the bottom as intake, one of them had the h80i with a pull fan on top. Exhaust was 3 fans at the top(ish if you've seen the case). At the back I had exhaust pulling into you aio and pulling through with another fan as the back exhaust (gpu aio basically taking hot air)

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
in the 303 the h80 was located in the intakes from the bottom of the case, tubes going towards the front then directly down. in the h510 the h80 is also located in the bottom but when the reach the bottom of the case they curve flat. Ill see if i have any pics of the old setup stored somewhere so i can share.

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
This looks like a case of 'H80 in chassis 2 does not have as much access to air as it did in chassis 1.
Filtered grille(chassis 1) VS Filtered small gaps on the side and bottom + that solid panel in the front(chassis2).
Still makes me wonder why my full load temp is lower/similar to my other case. If it were about access to air wouldnt i also be hotter during load? Its also just weird how it jumps while in idle (cpu maybe jumps from 2-5%). Temps will just jump from 50 to 66c while idle.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is what I believe is going on:
Chassis #2 has more restrictive intakes than #1, but at the same time, exhaust air has an easier time getting out in it.

As for the temperature spikes, they're normal for Ryzen 3000. It's a combination of:
-the greater thermal density of the 7nm dies
-the cpus being very bursty in nature on light loads. Few threads are active, and it uses less power this way instead of having them all active all the time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because it's a Ryzen. They use dynamic boost which in part is regulated by temps. If temps allow, it'll boost higher.

So with a case and crappy airflow, you'll get load temps of 80 and a mediocre boost. In a case with better airflow, it'll still run 80, but boosts higher.

At idle, Ryzen shuts down all the cores except one. That core sees the entire load of any background processes. So every time something starts up, like Antivirus etc, you get several processes and services enabled simultaneously. All on that one core. So it's not the cpu heating up to 60's, it just that single hottest core.

Solution

vmavr001

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
It's a 2000 series (2600) not sure if they perform similarly, but it really didn't do it in my old case so seems odd. Anyways it sounds like there's nothing to worry about then.