[SOLVED] idle temp

Jul 9, 2019
is 45 degrees celsius a normal idle temp for a ryzen 2700 with arctic freezer 34 esports duo?

Solution
No quite the opposite actually as these Ryzen CPU s thermal throttle at 85c to reduce temperature so you get better performance as they can boost fully without getting too hot under stress.

This is in a gaming/intensive use context as benchmarking software like Prime95 or Cinebench push the CPU up to 85-95c sometimes.

I would try incremental offsets i.e. - .050 then run your PC under idle and gaming.
Rest, back to the BIOS and aim for - .100 and test again.

This is on a 2700x so yours will be slightly different results being a 2700 and also the fact that every PC is unique in terms of hardware/performance.

If you run in to any freezes/BSOD/adverse performance just put your voltage back a little or reset your BIOS if you...

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
It is a bit higher than normal considering the cooler you have.
35-40 is my average with a Wraith Prism stock cooler.
I set a voltage offset of - .100 in my BIOS as my gaming temps were around 75-80 and idle used to be around 45-50.
You can try this to see if it helps.

Also make sure you are using Windows Balanced Power Plan and that your cooler is properly mounted to your CPU.
Decent quality paste applied in the proper way is vital to cooling.

Andy

Jul 9, 2019
It is a bit higher than normal considering the cooler you have.
35-40 is my average with a Wraith Prism stock cooler.
I set a voltage offset of - .100 in my BIOS as my gaming temps were around 75-80 and idle used to be around 45-50.
You can try this to see if it helps.

Also make sure you are using Windows Balanced Power Plan and that your cooler is properly mounted to your CPU.
Decent quality paste applied in the proper way is vital to cooling.

Andy
does the voltage offset impact performance

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
No quite the opposite actually as these Ryzen CPU s thermal throttle at 85c to reduce temperature so you get better performance as they can boost fully without getting too hot under stress.

This is in a gaming/intensive use context as benchmarking software like Prime95 or Cinebench push the CPU up to 85-95c sometimes.

I would try incremental offsets i.e. - .050 then run your PC under idle and gaming.
Rest, back to the BIOS and aim for - .100 and test again.

This is on a 2700x so yours will be slightly different results being a 2700 and also the fact that every PC is unique in terms of hardware/performance.

If you run in to any freezes/BSOD/adverse performance just put your voltage back a little or reset your BIOS if you cannot boot in the worst case scenario.

Under-volting is in no way a risk to any component like over-volting can be.

Solution

Latest posts