Question Idle temperature discrepancies between Ryzen Master, CAM and HWiNFO

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

This morning I reinstalled the latest version of Ryzen Master because it was not launching anymore ("driver not properly installed" error message) so I had to uninstall it, reboot the computer and install it again to make it work. Then I launched it and saw something surprising:

My idle temp was lower than usual and much more stable, jumping around between 36 and 39C. So I compared with CAM and HWiNFO and they were both giving me the usual higher and much more unstable temps, i.e. barely going below 40 and periodically jumping up to 50C. So I launched a CPUZ stress test and then the temp was the same for all of them at around 69C at the beginning and slowly ramping up to 71 (this is still too high according to me but it's another story).

I know Ryzen Master is supposed to be the only software we should trust for the Ryzen CPU temperature but is it normal to see a so big difference at idle? And no difference at all at high load? And for me it's kind of a big deal because CAM is the software that regulates the fan speed so if it overestimates the temp at low cpu usage I get higher rpm and the noise that comes with it for nothing.

Edit 1:

I forgot to put my specs:

Thermaltake Versa N21 Onyx Edition case
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
AMD Ryzen 3700x
NZXT Kraken X52 cooler
2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16
Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (system drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 (backup drive)
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair CX650 PSU

Edit 2:

When I went home for lunch I did a short test with Ryzen Master open while playing Just Cause 3 for a few minutes and according to RM the temperature never went above 50C. With CAM or HWiNFO it's going well above 60C and sometime has some spikes above 70C. I will do a longer test tonight with Battlefield V.

If RM is right and CAM and HWiNFO are wrong that would make so much more sense because I still cannot understand why my temps are higher with my 3700x than it was with my 2700x despite the much lower TDP.

Last edited:

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
No reply yet so I searched more about this issue and I found the answer here:

"
• OLD BEHAVIOR: Report the highest temp (“instantaneous temperature”) of any sensor in the whole CPU, no matter how isolated or brief. This approach overstated the prevalence and significance of fleeting peaks, which artificially inflated temperature reports by up to 30°C above the true silicon conditions.

• NEW BEHAVIOR: Report a short-duration rolling average of all temp sensors in the chip. This model will give you a holistic view of what the processor is doing across cores, cache, bus interfaces, etc. It’s the closest any software monitoring tool can come to portraying the true thermal conditions of the chip, and it’s the same model our own Precision Boost 2 algorithm uses to make temperature-related boost decisions.

ADDITIONALLY: We also intend to release new developer documentation that enables third-party tools to take the same measurements, so you can continue to rely on your favorite third-party apps after they’re updated. We will be contacting utility vendors directly with more details when the documentation is ready.
"

So Ryzen Master shows the right temp and should be the one we rely on until the other softwares get updated.