[SOLVED] idle temperature problem with i5-11600k and Aorus ATC800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2021
Hello , yesterday i decide to upgrade my rig and bought i5-11600k paired with aorus cooler ATC800
It was late night when i installed everything and turn on the PC. After windows boot its shows me 57-59 degrees without doing nothing...
I think that is little bit higer :(
I use Aorus C300 glass case with 3x120 intake fans at front, two x 120mm ecxaust at top,and one 120 for back case
Any help or its normal ?

Solution
The cooler appears as if it (could be) fine, given it's size. Looks about like a Hyper 212. The case you are using seems to have very poor air flow judging by the pictures. I would suggest dropping/opening the side panel and see if temps go way down.

I also have an 11600K and they run hot. I utilized a Noctua NH-L9i on it initially, based on a super small case I was going to use. My idle temps were at and near 50C all the time and it quickly throttled on any load as it went up to 100 C. I swapped to the HN-U9S, as it's the biggest that will fit in the alternate case I am using for now. Temps now idle around 33-35, stays in the 40's under mild loads, and never goes above the 80's gaming.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The cooler appears as if it (could be) fine, given it's size. Looks about like a Hyper 212. The case you are using seems to have very poor air flow judging by the pictures. I would suggest dropping/opening the side panel and see if temps go way down.

I also have an 11600K and they run hot. I utilized a Noctua NH-L9i on it initially, based on a super small case I was going to use. My idle temps were at and near 50C all the time and it quickly throttled on any load as it went up to 100 C. I swapped to the HN-U9S, as it's the biggest that will fit in the alternate case I am using for now. Temps now idle around 33-35, stays in the 40's under mild loads, and never goes above the 80's gaming.

Reactions: Kamen666
Solution
Jan 23, 2021

Thanks, will try it also with side panels...
Also my cooler fan's are alwaysat max speed....
I think with this big cooler it supposed to not have any temps problems but... :(

air coolers vary in quality.
a 120mm cooler should be adequate.
Your high idle temperature suggests to me that you have not installed it properly.

Was there a protective mylar cover on the cooler? It needs to be removed before installation.

Did you use too much paste?
Paste is better than air, but not as good as metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the middle will spread out under heat and pressure.

Is the cooler mounted level and tight?
You need to tighten it down a bit at a time on each side to get it level.

Are the top fans exhaust?
They should be.
Verify fan airflow by dangling a tissue in front.
I would experiment by disabling the top fans entirely.
Such fans tend to divert the cooling airstream up and out of the case without allowing the airflow to go over the motherboard vrm's, graphics card and cooler.

The rear fan should be exhaust.

Ultimately, you may want a better cooler if you want to get the best turbo out of your processor.
Something like a twin tower noctua nh-d15s

Jan 23, 2021
air coolers vary in quality.
a 120mm cooler should be adequate.
Your high idle temperature suggests to me that you have not installed it properly.

Was there a protective mylar cover on the cooler? It needs to be removed before installation.

Did you use too much paste?
Paste is better than air, but not as good as metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the middle will spread out under heat and pressure.

Is the cooler mounted level and tight?
You need to tighten it down a bit at a time on each side to get it level.

Are the top fans exhaust?
They should be.
Verify fan airflow by dangling a tissue in front.
I would experiment by disabling the top fans entirely.
Such fans tend to divert the cooling airstream up and out of the case without allowing the airflow to go over the motherboard vrm's, graphics card and cooler.

The rear fan should be exhaust.

Ultimately, you may want a better cooler if you want to get the best turbo out of your processor.
Something like a twin tower noctua nh-d15s

Thank you for reply !
The protective is off...
I attache a link with picture of thermal paste before mounting the cooler.

https://mab.to/NoAjF64yH

The cooler is in level and tight, each side after another and repeat...
Top and rear fans are all exhaust, only front ones are intake.

Your link requires privacy settings agreement to which I will not agree.
In truth, differing paste application methods have advocates, but it really does not make much difference so long as you did use some.

Look at the bios temperature , that will likely be accurate for idle conditions.
After windows starts, there may well be lots of activity even though you are not running anything.

Jan 23, 2021
I try it with fully open case without side panels and front cover, no differences :(
I reisntall the cooler and reaply paste again, still nothing.
I decide to resset bios, take out the battery for 5 mins and voala... 38 C at idle
I think its better now... :)
But in some games like Resident Evil Village - 2k resolution, all setting are ultra and sometimes hit 80 degrees... is it normal ? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.