Idle temps higher when OC applied

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Hello,

My 4690k is turbo clocked at 4.4GHz. Temperatures are safe, but what concerns me are the idle temps.

When I remove the OC and go with stock settings the idle temps are 5-10 Celsius lower than with the OC. (40c with oc, 32-35 without oc)

I checked the specs and when idling, both the clocks and the voltages are the same on the CPU no matter the overclocking setting. (800Mhz with 0.7v)

Any ideas why is this?

Solution
Idle should be a little higher after OC. You sure you're running that voltage at all times? Dynamic voltage can be fast to catch. Also, some power saving features get disabled automatically with overclock.
40c with oc, 32-35 without oc
CPU for daily usage is fine till 80c. Don't worry too much about it. A fresh thermal paste application + cleaning dust can make it cooler if you haven't done so in a while.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Idle should be a little higher after OC. You sure you're running that voltage at all times? Dynamic voltage can be fast to catch. Also, some power saving features get disabled automatically with overclock.
40c with oc, 32-35 without oc
CPU for daily usage is fine till 80c. Don't worry too much about it. A fresh thermal paste application + cleaning dust can make it cooler if you haven't done so in a while.

Solution

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks, it's been like that since the first week (took a while to find the absolute optimal OC) I had this CPU (2015 Oct) and only recently I resetted my BIOS and noticed this.