IE 10 is Most Energy Efficient Web Browser for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedanticNo1

Honorable
May 3, 2013
That's some serious spin to cover what are no doubt incredible performance deficits.

". . . the more efficiently a browser uses power, the longer a user can enjoy the Web on a PC, the lower the electricity costs and the smaller the environmental impact."

What? My PC operates on batteries? 10,000 homes if 300 million people would just use this one browser. Lol. Pathetic marketing.

G

Turns out that not going fast is very efficient, who'd've thunk it?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Wow I thought MS couldnt make IE any worse until I saw the windows 8 implementation. As a developer IE has always been a pain in the ass but now with Windows 8 its even worse because now there are two different versions of IE. Desktop and Metro and they behave differently. Developers need to come together and stop supporting IE all together. Throw up a message to the user telling them to get a real browser.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
So after all the cpu cycles used because of the malware the browser automatically lets surely make up for the efficiency gain. And not only that the energy burned from the screen waiting for the browser to respond

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
at the request of Microsoft we set the JavaScript timer frequency to “conserve power” in the Windows power options. We found, however, that the default Javascript time frequency for all computers tested was set to“maximum performance.” We did not investigate the impact of this setting upon browser power draw.
Sorry I saw this line in the actual paper, so this means the entire paper is bunk. On top of that the tests were done manually. Deliberately adjusting your setup to reduce power draw while leaving others at default is total BS.

Another lame attempt by MS to manipulate PR rather than fix their software.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I wonder if Microsoft wanted to make experiment and declare IE to be power efficient. How many people would be gullible enough to believe this! Did they also forget to mention how much businesses spend to make their website systems work with IE? How much actual energy is required to adjust javascript to make websites work for IE? Far more than 18% overhead of making project alone!
From web developer perspective, IE is nightmare. Compared to Chrome in development tools it is like old mechanical musical box compared to modern mobile phones. I would definitely choose Chrome or Firefox, or even Safari compared to IE.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Well, not that damned surprising considering that Microsoft has the ability to 'tweak' IE10 for Windows.
Personally, I will still stick with Firefox, Opera, and Chrome for most of my browsing, using IE10 only as a fall-back browser.

macpeteo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
LOL, all this saved energy is being wasted by that cough, cough wonderful new "feature" in 8.1, the PICTURE FRAME!

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Anyone heard of Gonzo Pinto the most energy efficient explorer during the age of exploration? He didn't get very far... and yes I made him up :)

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Sad part his chrome is up to version 26 firefox is up to version 21 and yet internet explorer is way behind at version 10. at this rate by 2024 internet explorer may reach version 20. lol

They are both using rapid version numbers now. But it is true that IE updates very infrequently.

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
"Apparently, if every Chrome and Firefox user in the United States switched to Internet Explorer 10, the amount of saved energy could power over ten thousands American households."
And propel IE10 past those two browsers in usage.
Obviously just MS propaganda.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Despite that most people don't like internet explorer, I have to admit that it's much faster and more responsive to touch than any other web browser I've tried on my Windows 8 tablet and because of this has become the main browser I use on it.
I do still use chrome on my desktop though.

FF has been garbage since v4. IE10 loads pages 2-3x faster on my computer. FF still crashes with Flash...pathetic.
Okay...It is true that some versions of firefox introduced regressions, but accidentally and deliberately.
But I find that firefox is significantly faster then IE and I haven't had a crash in over two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.