I have IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.050301-1519 on Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Not too long ago, Internet Explorer cannot open web pages on my computer. I
can open them with Windows Explorer. Web page short-cuts on my desktop cannot
open as well. The Start > Run cannot open web pages after a URL is entered.
Hyperlink within e-mails cannot be opened as well.

There's an Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode dialog box is prompted with
the message "This is being run in compatibility mode and not all features are
enabled" when I attempt to use Internet Explorer. If I click on OK, it opens
a blank page, even though I do have a default page.

What happened to the Internet Explorer on my computer and how can I get it
back to normal and not open in Compatibility Mode?

Thank you very much in advance,
Steven Louie

This is puzzling. Compat mode is only available in IE5 and 5.5, and only if upgrading from IE4. XP has version 6. It's hard to troubleshoot as one would need Win 98 rather than XP. In theory it is impossible.

I looked through all standard IE things and cannot find this dialog. What happen if you type iexplore in Start Run.
"Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01D3B7AC-D816-4932-A96E-B5E60575C903@microsoft.com...
>I have IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.050301-1519 on Windows XP Service Pack 2.
> Not too long ago, Internet Explorer cannot open web pages on my computer. I
> can open them with Windows Explorer. Web page short-cuts on my desktop cannot
> open as well. The Start > Run cannot open web pages after a URL is entered.
> Hyperlink within e-mails cannot be opened as well.
>
> There's an Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode dialog box is prompted with
> the message "This is being run in compatibility mode and not all features are
> enabled" when I attempt to use Internet Explorer. If I click on OK, it opens
> a blank page, even though I do have a default page.
>
> What happened to the Internet Explorer on my computer and how can I get it
> back to normal and not open in Compatibility Mode?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Steven Louie

David,

"IExplore -eval" brings up that dialog, but I don't know what exactly it's
used for. In IE6 groups, few people have said that fixing the App Paths
(from Short to LFN) fixed the problem.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/iecompat.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
This is puzzling. Compat mode is only available in IE5 and 5.5, and only if
upgrading from IE4. XP has version 6. It's hard to troubleshoot as one would
need Win 98 rather than XP. In theory it is impossible.

I looked through all standard IE things and cannot find this dialog. What
happen if you type iexplore in Start Run.
"Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.050301-1519 on Windows XP Service Pack 2.
> Not too long ago, Internet Explorer cannot open web pages on my computer.
> can open them with Windows Explorer. Web page short-cuts on my desktop
> cannot
> open as well. The Start > Run cannot open web pages after a URL is
> entered.
> Hyperlink within e-mails cannot be opened as well.
>
> There's an Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode dialog box is prompted
> with
> the message "This is being run in compatibility mode and not all features
> are
> enabled" when I attempt to use Internet Explorer. If I click on OK, it
> opens
> a blank page, even though I do have a default page.
>
> What happened to the Internet Explorer on my computer and how can I get it
> back to normal and not open in Compatibility Mode?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Steven Louie

-eval brings up the dialog. It does not display side by side in About. Also afaict IE says [to web servers] it's in compatability mode (IE5/IE4 type) always.

Compatability mode in IE6 refers to the Doctype! string on a page.
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uxLRb2SuFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> David,
>
> "IExplore -eval" brings up that dialog, but I don't know what exactly it's
> used for. In IE6 groups, few people have said that fixing the App Paths
> (from Short to LFN) fixed the problem.
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/iecompat.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> This is puzzling. Compat mode is only available in IE5 and 5.5, and only if
> upgrading from IE4. XP has version 6. It's hard to troubleshoot as one would
> need Win 98 rather than XP. In theory it is impossible.
>
> I looked through all standard IE things and cannot find this dialog. What
> happen if you type iexplore in Start Run.
> "Steve Louie" <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.050301-1519 on Windows XP Service Pack 2.
>> Not too long ago, Internet Explorer cannot open web pages on my computer.
>> can open them with Windows Explorer. Web page short-cuts on my desktop
>> cannot
>> open as well. The Start > Run cannot open web pages after a URL is
>> entered.
>> Hyperlink within e-mails cannot be opened as well.
>>
>> There's an Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode dialog box is prompted
>> with
>> the message "This is being run in compatibility mode and not all features
>> are
>> enabled" when I attempt to use Internet Explorer. If I click on OK, it
>> opens
>> a blank page, even though I do have a default page.
>>
>> What happened to the Internet Explorer on my computer and how can I get it
>> back to normal and not open in Compatibility Mode?
>>
>> Thank you very much in advance,
>> Steven Louie

The computer came with WinXP (no SP or SP1 Installed on it) We've since
upgraded it to SP2 and has been working for a long time before this. Before
this, IE cannot open any web pages at all but I deleted thed local user
profile and recreated. The default IE logon on the desktop can open any
default page, but short cuts cannot be opened.