steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
For some reason, IE has got very very slow on my XP (in loading). FF loads real quick now (used to be the reverse). I have done virus checking, spyware checking, etc. etc.

Any ideas?

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Problem solved. Running webroot spysweeper and a google search showed that I needed to upgrade to the latest version to eliminate a bug in the code.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Steve, just professional curiosity - upgrading SpySweeper to 709 fixed your problem??? And, what did the Google search do for you?

I never experienced the slowness with 683.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I found an article via google search talking about some interaction between sweeper code and java. So I upgraded to the latest and everything is fixed.

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I'm glad you got it fixed! Although, i was going to suggest spyware 8) It turned out to be the opposite!

And i'm a proud user of Firefox, and it seems to load much faster than any version of IE i've used. Especially on pages with alot of content, it takes IE a bit longer than firefox to load it all :roll:

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Actually IE loads faster for me, generally, than FF.

The exception is if FF is already loaded. Then a new page is going to come up as another tab, so loading of the entire browser is not necessary (unlike IE which in current version opens a new window).

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Oh, well, Firefox does take longer to startup (Because it's not built into Windows like IE) but i was talking about the time it takes to load a wepage. For me firefox loads a wepage faster -- but i'm using v1.0.6 and you might have a different one :lol:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Jake, I did the mods. Thanks. I cannot really tell the difference with regular browsing, since I think the network is the bottleneck, but I am sure there are some applications where it really makes a difference.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You guys should try K-Melon.

It's based on Gecko which is what Fire Fox is based on and runs anything that Mozilla runs so there are many plug-ins already for it to use.

However the best feature of K-Melon is you have access to all the macros and code to completely personalize the browser. You can add or delete any buttons that you like, write your own macros or cut and paste macros already written. There are different skins available or you can create your own. I have it setup so I have complete control over not only turning on and off cookies but also images, Java, Java Script, Clearing the cache, cookies and passwords all with the push of a button.

I can't begin to tell you all the features that's available on this browser. All I'll say is, if you like to fiddle with stuff or you want the fastest most configurable browser then I believe K-Melon is for you.

I have only recently downloaded it and am still playing around with it. Give it a try you'll be surprised how fast it is.

I think someone should do a review and publish it here on Tom's hardware. I really can't believe that more people don't know about this browser and use it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:idea: Hey, since we've got a few FireFox experts in this thread, I'd like to ask a question.

Is there a way to make FF navigate like IE does using the cursor keys so that they relate directly to scroll bar navigation instead of to some deranged internal object cursor :?: