IEEE PCMCIA CARD / EXTERNAL Firewire USB 2.0 Drive

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop P4, I purchased from Mr
USB a PCMCIA card with 2 Firewire Ports. I have had
success in using the device with a Sony HC40 Camcorder.
However I have now purchased a ICYBOX (external Hard Disk
Housing with a 200GB Maxtor unit) with a IEEE 1394a / USB
2.0 interface.

On pluging the external housing unit Windows XP (home ed)
wants to install a "Prolific PL3507 Combo Device (1394-
ATAPI Rev 1.10) and tries to load a file called
SBP2port.sys (I assume from a Windows CAB File) which does
not install properly windows states it's not certified, in
doing so Windows give the following message "Driver is not
intended for this platform"

I have approached both Mr USB and www.ICYBOX.de for
answers but both have not given much help.

I have tried the unit on USB 2 on a friends machine and it
works fine. Also tried on mine via USB 1.0 which works ok
but very slow. The idea is to use the second port of the
IEEE PCMCIA card to transfer captured movie footage from
the camcorder to the external drive.

I have read several posts with this same type of problem
but have not read about any fixes. Can anyone help.......?

SBP2port.sys should be found in:

C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp1.cab

Is the external drive powered? There may not be sufficient power from the
notebook to power the drive.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"Richard Brown" <richard.brown2@skanska.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop P4, I purchased from Mr
> USB a PCMCIA card with 2 Firewire Ports. I have had
> success in using the device with a Sony HC40 Camcorder.
> However I have now purchased a ICYBOX (external Hard Disk
> Housing with a 200GB Maxtor unit) with a IEEE 1394a / USB
> 2.0 interface.
>
> On pluging the external housing unit Windows XP (home ed)
> wants to install a "Prolific PL3507 Combo Device (1394-
> ATAPI Rev 1.10) and tries to load a file called
> SBP2port.sys (I assume from a Windows CAB File) which does
> not install properly windows states it's not certified, in
> doing so Windows give the following message "Driver is not
> intended for this platform"
>
> I have approached both Mr USB and www.ICYBOX.de for
> answers but both have not given much help.
>
> I have tried the unit on USB 2 on a friends machine and it
> works fine. Also tried on mine via USB 1.0 which works ok
> but very slow. The idea is to use the second port of the
> IEEE PCMCIA card to transfer captured movie footage from
> the camcorder to the external drive.
>
> I have read several posts with this same type of problem
> but have not read about any fixes. Can anyone help.......?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The drive is externally power and sucessfully operates
using it's USB 2.0 port, however it's very slow since the
only USB port I have internally on the laptop are USB 1.0.

I have now tested the card and the drive on another laptop
with Windows ME, the machine installs the unit, however I
can't access it because the that particular laptop has
it's hard disk formated to FAT32 whilst the external drive
is formated in NTFS.

Interesting enough my DELL has a FAT32 partion (DELL pre-
installed software I'm guessing) perhaps that why Windows
XP home is complaining, I may try to install WINDOWS XP
PRO as see what happens. It's not the PCMCIA card or the
drive is software or my laptops hardware