If a motherboard has 2 PCI Express slots does that mean it's SLI?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey thanks for the response guys. That's not my motherboard. Atleast not yet. I am in the market for a new motherboard though. I already have a graphics card, GTX 260 so I'm looking for something that can SLI it incase I need it in the future.

So if a motherboard has 2 pci express slots that means it's either SLI or Crossfire compatible? If it doesn't officially say, "SLI or crossfire" in the specs that means the second PCIE slot is only x4?

If it does say SLI and Crossfire in the specs, does that mean both slots are x16 speeds?

NO

and

NO

You have to read it will say whether its crossfire or sli somewhere usully if you dont see it where you are buying it from check the manufactures website to find out for sure. As for the 16x alot of the motherboards out will be 16x for single gpu and for double it will be 8x 8x. The one you were asking about is an older model and they dont do it like that anymore for the most part they will run SLI 8x 8x the really expensive boards will run 16x 16x. Now the difference in performance is really not that noticeable in real life. In benchmarking you will see the difference between the two by about 10 to 20% difference in performance but in real life you will never notice the difference.

vardicbojan

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hello,
please tell me, i beg you... i have searched all over the internet and i couldnt find answer. How can i know if my motherboard has SLI or Crossfire function... please if you know explain it to me...

TRENDING THREADS