[SOLVED] If a PCIe slot is dead can the mobo still run as normal?

asoftmachine

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
I am asking as I have gpu issues where it is not being detected. Apologies if this is not the right thread but I am currently concerned about my mobo and so am asking in here.
With the GPU seated and powered it runs, but if plugged in to the monitor computer starts but no signal is sent to the monitor. If I remove the DVI to DisplayPort cable and plug into the mobo the computer runs as normal but obviously without discrete gpu options. The card is not detected in device manager and I cannot download amd drivers as they give a warning that I have no amd devices installed.

Xeon E3 1245v2
Gigabyte H77N wifi
GeIL Dragon RAM 8GBx2 DDR3-1333
Corsair CX750
BenQ GL2460
3x SSDs (is this important?)

A bit more reasoning for this question is that I had a Windforce GTX780 that stopped working (I'm currently unsure). Bought an MSI RX vega 56 and have returned two so far and this third card (also the second) will not show up in device manager and will not work. The first card worked for about a week and 'crashed'(?) three times. I don't know if even I am so unlucky as to have three bad cards sent out to me!

Solution
I think there's a very good possibility you have a problem with the motherboard.
I think the chance of three bad cards is very slim.

...and yes....the MB can function normally with a bad slot.

asoftmachine

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
Thank you for the info. I have searched high and low for an answer to that question, I could believe it was not talked about anywhere. Then again I was most probably wording my searches incompatibly.

For anyone who stumbles on to this searching because of a similar problem I have a chance to test the gpu in another computer in a couple of days as well as to borrow a known to be functional gpu to test in mine.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

asoftmachine

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
You're welcome.
....and I think it will give added confidence to test the card(s) in another machine.....but I still think more likely it's the slot.

Your right, I'd like to make sure before I go researching and spending a bunch of moneys on a new mobo, cpu and ram.

Is it okay to ask about mobo recomendations? More specifically things to look out for or keep in mind when comparing mobos? I'm considering going for an amd cpu and there seem to be a rediculous number of mobos out there to choose from.

Ha....yeah.....there are a ridiculous number.
Such a ridiculous number that I don't keep track.
I've always had luck with ASUS motherboards so I always buy ASUS and I've never have had one fail.
I recently bought an ASUS TUF Mark I X299 and I'm really happy with it.
I have an old ASUS P6T that is still chugging along from 2008 with an i7-980 and a GTX 1080 in it.

Reactions: asoftmachine