If AMD goes bankrupt will INTEL have monopoly?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Don't worry as a much much bigger and wealthier diversified giant than I corp wouldn't like to see drastic price increases on components in their P.C. division due to CPU price increases.Tom's Hardware had such an article about this very subject this year.
Any company that makes P.C's don't like losing profits and marketshare due to less sales.
Even Microsoft wouldn't enjoy a slowdown of software sales and huge loss in profits.I am sure many other companies and developers would agree on that as well.
I Corp = Commodore 64.
Many people enjoyed their Commodore 64's when that era existed in time.
The clones may die off someday.I guess that would make it easier for Microsoft just making software for the PC.
Don't worry very much though I'ers as you still have the Macintosh platform with 6% marketshare.Oh and there is Linux too and you can enjoy Tux Racer.

It's a two-way street. Both companies have been very innovative. But for some reason you only want to see good in one of them.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
All I can say, it takes 2 to tango... AMD was there when Intel was in the beginning. Sure, Intel was founded in 1968, while AMD came one year later, 1969.

Can anyone really say, hey... I was there at Intel/AMD when the came up with this, and yes, they are right. No.. all we can do, is look up info.

And in any competition, there's going to be heated debate about SOMETHING.

Besides, if AMD was the only one out there, I'd still prolly be saving up for that X2 4400+

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
If there was only AMD or Intel, stuff would progress, but it would be slow... just enough progresion to be a reason to upgrade... expect ages for stuff to fall in price... expect mainstream stuff like the Q6600 to cost like the QX9650...

In an AMD world people would be bragging about getting the Phenom to [strike]stock speed[/strike] 3Ghz...

Somebody would find that the 45nm Sempron dual-core would overclock really well and etc.

What a world that'd be...

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

You seem to have missed the point of my post. My whole point was that since AMD has lower overhead they can charge less and have the same margin as Intel since less overhead cost will be attached to each chip. I am aware that Intel is making more profit per chip which is why I said that AMD needs to be selling their high-end chips at a higher price like the $500 range.

Regarding Deneb, Puma, and ATI, I simply see these as three areas where AMD has a good chance to have success. I never suggested that they were in any way connected. You're reading too much into it. I just mean that if all three are successful then the collective revenue may be enough to push AMD into the black for the quarter.

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I'm not 100% sure that Dirk's AMD is going to be able to launch Deneb. I can't see this 45 nm shrink happening successfully with all the crap AMD has had to put up with lately. 4850/70 might be a success, but the CPU dept. hasn't had a home run in almost three years now.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

45 nm sempron, man i've completely forgotten about amd since conroe e6600 came out...

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

According to the press conference Dirk Meyer held a couple of days ago AMD has had 45nm in production for months and Deneb is currently sampling. Volume shipments are planned for early Q4 of this year. There was even a preview published on a site that claimed to have received on of the samples. I don't see how you can claim that Deneb is vaporware.

Whether or not Deneb will be a success or not remains to be seen but claiming that it won't even reach launch is just retarded.

can007

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I have already gave the money to you AMD (I purchased a 9600 BE when it was the same price as the Q6600 )

So, don't die AMD!!!

dasickninja could well have a point.

Especially if he is as good at tech politics as he is at researching thermal interface material.

That was a damn good article mate ... very helpful.

We need more of that sort of stuff on this site.

Have you done any more recent tests ??

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008

Ya... I remember getting into a big argument with a guy at work who had just put $10K into AMD at $26. He told me I was stupid too. Samples are a long way from a successful channel product launch, dude. Time will tell. My personal confidence in AMD is ZERO.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Regardless of the value of AMD stock, a die shrink of a successful channel product is not vaporware. Deneb won't bring that much to the table. If B3 Phenom is 17% faster per core than X2 and Deneb is 10% faster than B3, then it will still find a market.

The numbers I remember from reviews of B3 and from previews of Deneb. All AMD has to do is better their current product. Their market share should creep up a bit, they should be able to get ATI paid for and they can then work on Swift -- where the real money is (i.e. Swift plus 780/880 chipsets in notebooks).

Me, I'm really old fashioned and stubborn. I'll buy AMD on the desktop. The only way I'd buy Intel is if they were the only CPU manufacturer on the planet, which isn't going to happen; they do need AMD to stave off regulators.

Plus, I like pins on the CPU's and not the motherboard. It was enough for me to get used to buying CPU's and motherboards separately. Boy do I miss the days when my budget CPU's were soldered onto my budget motherboards. If I'd had to rely on Intel back then, I couldn't have afforded to build a PC to play Star Control II. :lol:

Except for the 3 forays into P4 CPU's on the same motherboard, I've stuck with AMD since the 386SX days (well, one PC had a Cyrix 486DLC and an old Compuadd notebook had a 486SLC...plus I went Pentium instead of K5, but I went back to AMD for K62).

I'm not AMD for life. I'm AMD for budget. Go AMD!

And I prefer Radeon graphics too.

I look for a situation like Indev taking over Anheiser Bush. The stocks bottom out low enough and the sharholders demand acceptance of an offer to recover their losses, it will happen.

I wonder what foreign company will be the proud owner this time?...

America is for sale, on the cheap.

antonmadcow

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
yipsl, whatever it is you're smoking, do you think you might be able to smuggle it across the Canadian border for me? AMD is at $4.32. When it comes to believing fanboys on a forum vs. the collective wisdom of Wall St., guess which one I'm going to follow? :)

I always feel sad because people always forget IBM. Yes IBM who helps AMD a lot. Poor IBM. They always get left out in the rain.

As for innovation it has been from both sides really. But some seem more interesting than others and some are a more lasting impression than some. The IMC is one and HK/MG is another. Both are changing the foundation of the CPU (HK/MG in the process and IMC in the performance).

Funny thing, AMD used to make chips for Intel. I can't remember the exact purpose of the chips but the ones my old job had were ICs with a little round see through thingy to the chip and it said Intel corp and made by AMD. Was kind of funny to think that years ago they used to help eachother and now they are fighting.

Ahh sibling rivalries.

As for your point about AMD being the only one you are right. No one to compete with then why work your butsts off? Thats any companies motto. Hey look we are the only ones so lets milk this for all its worth.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Sounds like an EPROM

^Something like that. I love PCs nad hardware but the exact tech specs get too far into detail it goes past my wanting to know. If I remmeber correctly they were made with the see through thingy to use light to flash them.

Talk about technology huh.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Yep. ROM chips you could Program in the field. Zapping them with UV light for a while would Erase them so you could program 'em again. They were, among other things, a staple of console game development a decade or so ago.

(Sorry for the O/T :oops:)