If an SSD wouldnt give me a faster boot time is there any point upgrading?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
So i just did myself a little test. I have a seagate 2 TB SSHD and my brother has a Samsung 250gb SSD. I put both computers side by side and pressed the start button at the exact same time. Windows loaded at exactly the same time. With both lock screens opening up at 25 Seconds after the button was pressed. I was planning to upgrade to an SSD and clone my data from my SSHD to it. So my question is. Is there any other benefits an SSD would give me? because if there isnt anything significant im not going to bother upgrading ill just wait out till my SSHD dies then upgrade my storage.

Solution
The Seagate 2Tb SSHD combine a 8Gb SSD + 2Tb HDD. By some clever algorithms files are cached to the 8Gb SSD based on their useage. Files used by the Windows boot process will greatly benefit from that caching and your PC will perform very similar to one with a non hybrid SSD. When using your PC you may load a program that will not be cached in your 8gb and then the data is retrieved from the 2Tb HDD. Then performance will drop to that of the HDD.

If you use a lot of different program - games, photo editing, video editing - (basically anything that needs more than 8gb of data shuffling including Windows install) you will benefit from using a proper SSD.

I've used HDD, SSHD and SSD in various PCs and will say that no solution beats the...

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

Do you have the same CPU so the test runs the same?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

No but he has a better CPU. I have the i5 7600 he has i7 7700k

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

sshd is a hybrid of ssd and hdd.
as long as your windows files located in ssd part of your sshd, you should not need to upgrade it.
but once your windows files has grow out of your ssd part, you will notice slowdown. then its time to upgrade to ssd.

cmmiw, the ssd part of sshd aint big. probably 64gb.

post time with an ssd or hard drive depending on the bios settings. (turning on fast boot...efi boot only...no mb bios splash sceen and seting time to wait in the bios for an error to 0 and in windows 10 turning off gui boot and turning off wait time from 30 sec to 0. with all the bios and windows delays turned off windows 10 with a ssd drive will boot into windows in about 3 sec.

caqde

Distinguished

Things of note

1) you have an SSHD. Meaning there is a small SSD caching your HDD. Meaning that certain load times will have SSD type load times. But you will have HDD write times and HDD load times when you first load an application or load something that isn't cached on the small SSD used for caching.

2) possible software differences between the platforms the SSD might be loading up more software? Pending patches on the SSD etc. Multiple boots using a "sanitized OS" (An OS image with preset patches and software installed) are usually used when benchmarking drives etc.

So you will notice SSD time load times on a true SSD for all applications instead of only those that are cached and will also experience faster installation times on a true SSD.

EDIT NOTE: The Firecuda drives have an 8GB MLC SSD Cache. This is not very big I used Primocache which allows me to use memory/SSD for caching data from a drive (Including the boot drive) and I used 5GB easily just to speed up boot times. This leaves 3GB for everything else. So I'd say most of the time you are likely going to be reading data directly from the HDD on your Firecuda SSHD.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
the only reason why im asking is because im wanting to upgrade my computer in quite a few ways. I currently have a i5 7600 and a GTX 1060. Im wanting to upgrade to a 7700k and a 1080. Obviously this is quite pricey so saving money on not upgrading my SSD if i can get away with it for a couple more months would just help me out

caqde

Distinguished

You can pretty much always get away with not upgrading a component, but it obviously depends on what you are looking to gain from your upgrade.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
The Seagate 2Tb SSHD combine a 8Gb SSD + 2Tb HDD. By some clever algorithms files are cached to the 8Gb SSD based on their useage. Files used by the Windows boot process will greatly benefit from that caching and your PC will perform very similar to one with a non hybrid SSD. When using your PC you may load a program that will not be cached in your 8gb and then the data is retrieved from the 2Tb HDD. Then performance will drop to that of the HDD.

If you use a lot of different program - games, photo editing, video editing - (basically anything that needs more than 8gb of data shuffling including Windows install) you will benefit from using a proper SSD.

I've used HDD, SSHD and SSD in various PCs and will say that no solution beats the SSD for performance even hybrid SSHDs. Your PC will be just that much more responsive overall. The only negative is Gb/$ where SSDs can't compete with HDDs.

Solution
SSHDs are always underutilised and a lot of people on this forum has no idea what they are.
When people say they can choose between a 120ssd or go for a 1tb HD, why not combine them and get the best of both worlds.
I always recommend an SSHD if someone can't afford both at the same time.

It always comes down to money, if its not broke, don't fix it attitude as well. Unless you are seeing slow down in things you want faster, save your money. Something always better coming out around the corner.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

So here my list of start-up programs:
CCleaner
2 Epson programs for my printer
EEventManager
RTHDVCPL
SecurityHealth

All the rest like steam and razer synapse i disabled when i first got the PC.

May 12, 2018
did you update window and bios becoz new patch which will slow down windows kernel for fixing MELTDOWN and SPECTER vulnerability
for more details follows this
open CONTROL PANEL

click Administrative Tools

open event viewer

check your systems status

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

not sure what you mean by system status?

May 12, 2018

select window log than select system

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

yeah not sure what im looking for inside there. There is something that says Kernal-General