[SOLVED] If building a PC today would you use an HDD for files or just keep everything on SSDs?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
Back when SSDs were newer technology they were more expensive than HDDs so people advised to keep a small SSD for Windows, programs, and some games and an HDD for the rest of their files such as documents, music, videos, and photos.

Today if you were to build a PC would you bother putting an HDD in it since SSD prices have dropped significantly? Is it still not a good idea to store infrequent documents such as music and videos on an SSD?

I'm not talking about using an SSD strictly for backup but just using an SSD for everything that's on your PC?

Solution
SSD only, as my system has been for several years.
Indeed, all the systems in the house.

The only spinning drives are in or attached to the NAS box.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
it all depends on budget and availability of big ssds

i moved my boot drive to a nvme 240gbs, but i still use a 1 tb toshiba hard disk, in my particular case i like toshiba hard disks and had only great experiences with the brand, ideally move to a ssd would be nice but at the moment i can't pay for a 2TB ssd that is what i would buy as storage to replace the toshiba hard disk

so if you have the opportunity, a cheap intel or samsung ssd would be great as storage, and a nvme as boot drive is perfect, or if you want to go all in on a nvme as boot and storage, for some makes things simple and fast, also less cables to manage

but i do prefer to have two devices, one just for files and games, the other for os and apps or programs