if case lies flat with mobo

BillB

placed such that the heat rises, does that help anything? Also do disk
drives work better if they are vertical rather than horizontal as most case
have them?

billb wrote:
> placed such that the heat rises, does that help anything?
> Also do disk drives work better if they are vertical rather
> than horizontal as most case have them?

I've installed my HDs vertically ever since I tested an old 7200 RPM
Maxtor and found that its hottest chips ran much hotter when it was
horizontal, 68 Celcius verses 53C, and apparently some of those chips
drive the motor and head positioner and are the ones most prone to
failure. The measurements were taken with the HD outside the computer,
in 24C surrounding air, and it had several inches of clearance all
around. I think that the drive was doing continuous sequential reads
during the test, but maybe it was just spinning at idle. Another
advantage of vertical mounting is that the drives can be right next to
the front case fan for even better cooling.

No.

No.

--
DaveW

"billb" <sevenoutpinball@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> placed such that the heat rises, does that help anything? Also do disk
> drives work better if they are vertical rather than horizontal as most
> case
> have them?

"billb" <sevenoutpinball@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> placed such that the heat rises, does that help anything? Also do disk
> drives work better if they are vertical rather than horizontal as most
case
> have them?

It shouldn't make much difference one way or the other. However, if the
motherboard is vertical, the chimney effect might help airflow a bit. -Dave

TRENDING THREADS