[SOLVED] If drives are bottlenecked by their interface, would a 3.2 Gen 2 USB HDD go upto 10gbps?

TripleYoThreat

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Hi, hope you're well!

So I know the Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosures actually support up to 40Gbps.
And USB enclosures can only go up to SS10 or SS20 (20Gbps)
So even if I use a 3.2 Gen 2 SATA enclosure, we are limited to SATA's 6Gbps. Regardless of what the spinning drive could actually achieve.

So does that mean
A. it's possible that spinning drives can actually do better than 6Gbps, but we've always seen them limited with the SATA interface
B. A USB hard drive made directly with the Gen 2x2 interface could, go higher than 6Gbps, like this one?

Thanks in advance,

Trip

Also, I think it begs the question, what's the fastest a spinning drive has outputted? I'm sure this has been thought of before lol

Solution
SATA based SSD will be still limited to SATA 6Gbps even with fastest USB 3.2 connectivity.
NVME based SSD can go faster than that.

Better see some reviews of actual products, you're interested in.
A. it's possible that spinning drives can actually do better than 6Gbps, but we've always seen them limited with the SATA interface
B. A USB hard drive made directly with the Gen 2x2 interface could, go higher than 6Gbps, like this one?
Mechanical hard drives can't even reach SATA 3Gbps.
SATA 6Gbps is territory for SATA SSDs.

Mechanical hard drives top out at ~ 200-250 MB/s.

TripleYoThreat

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
SATA based SSD will be still limited to SATA 6Gbps even with fastest USB 3.2 connectivity.
NVME based SSD can go faster than that.

Better see some reviews of actual products, you're interested in.
Right but one that is only for usb interface like usb 3.2

Based on my research, it seems the faster USB Ssds are going 1100 MB/s, which would be like 10gbps. Again not benefiting too much from going up to 3.2x2, but definitely benefiting from 3.2 gen 2 (SS10)