[SOLVED] If I boot into Windows 7 from USB, can I access my old HDD drive

Sep 23, 2019
I recently cleaned my old HDD drive partition accidentally and converted the partition scheme to MBR from GPT. Doing so I lost all my data and there is no OS installed on my laptop to boot and recover my partitions. I created a bootable pendrive and trying to boot from it. Is it possible to restore the data using any recovery software? Specifically speaking can I recover my old partitions

Solution
It should be able to detect the drive when booting from another device. That is what you would want to do to avoid overwriting data on the drive itself. There are actually links to LiveCD images that include TestDisk on their download page. I don't have that much first-hand experience with TestDisk, but it might be worth asking at their forum...

Sep 23, 2019
Yeah, but will it work If I boot OS from other USB disks/Pendrive. All I want to know is whether the software detects my old HDD or not. If I am going to install the software it should be on my USB Pendrive/Drive

It should be able to detect the drive when booting from another device. That is what you would want to do to avoid overwriting data on the drive itself. There are actually links to LiveCD images that include TestDisk on their download page. I don't have that much first-hand experience with TestDisk, but it might be worth asking at their forum...

Reactions: LinuxAdm_k
Solution