Question If I buy a pcie4 budget ssd used on pci3 slot will I get atleast pci3 performance

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I'm wondering say I buy a budget pcie4 ssd that has speeds of say 5300 reed 3600write

If I use this on a pci3 slow will I still get maxed out speeds of the pcie3 bus

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Solidigram p41 or any budget pcie 4.0 ssd

Also wonder bout since I have a samsung 970 Evo plus if a budget pcie4. 0 ssd that at 4.0speeds is much faster than would be lower performingthan what I already got far as iops an such

Looks like sale isn't going on it was a deal I saw on Tom's for like 4 or 6cents a gig can't seem to find it now but question remains would a budget pcie4 2tb ssd that has higher r/w in a pci4 socket outperform a samsung 500gb 970 Evo plus in a pcie3. 0 socket

I know at moment with game loading don't make a difference but new games with the ssd to gpu patch would be faster load times

For os and game loading

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
or any budget pcie 4.0 ssd
There are some I would not use if paid for with your money.

Even in perfect conditions and configs, you would not be able to tell the difference between PCIe 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 drives.

Only in certain specific use cases would it matter.
That being copying a large sequential file between two like drives.
Normal daily ops? No.

What matters far more is warranty and company rep.
If/when it dies, will they give you a new one? Or will there be a lot of pushback and ghosting?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I bought a pci 3.0 P3 Crucial for mine as it pretty much matched my CPU/Combo, 2TB. 5 year warranty. I knew I wasn't going to get a speed monster, only a bit of an upgrade in capacity and hopefully some faster loading times.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
You will do fine.
Do not be swayed by glowing synthetic ssd benchmarks.
You can't tell the difference among any of them.
These guys could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

From a quality point of view, I might question using a cheap ssd for such a critical component.
What did you have in mind?
IF he decides to play Ratchet and Clank Rift Appart ,he will not have smoothest experience in some situations which can brake immersion for some people.
Minimum 3.5GB/s seems essential for smooth passage through portals.
So SATA isn't ideal.
Better than HDD certainly, but still not ideal.
Ratchet and Clank is a taste of things to come.
Or it might remain the only such a demanding game when it comes to storage speeds.
Hard to say