[SOLVED] If I change my pc case will I need a new mobo?

Jul 29, 2020
Ok. I know this sounds stupid, but hear me out. Kinda new at PC building and all.
I've got a Lenovo Sharkbay, and I don't really need to upgrade my i7 4790 anytime soon, however, my the case the Lenovo M92 doesn't allow me to hide my PSU cables nor does it has bays for my HDDs and my SSD, and I wanted to change that. I've got a Thermaltake Versa H21 case one click away from buying and the only thing keeping me from doing so is this question.

Solution
What motherboard do you have?

If I understand your question correctly you need to confirm/verify the motherboard's form factor.

Reference/FYI:

https://www.lanner-america.com/blog/types-motherboard-form-factors/

The desired case must support the form factor of the motherboard.

Go online and find the installation guide/manual for both the case and your motherboard.

Match the specs. Be sure to read the footnotes and all fine print.

The User documentation may also refer you to the manufacturer's website for updated information.

Ralston18

Titan
What motherboard do you have?

If I understand your question correctly you need to confirm/verify the motherboard's form factor.

Reference/FYI:

https://www.lanner-america.com/blog/types-motherboard-form-factors/

The desired case must support the form factor of the motherboard.

Go online and find the installation guide/manual for both the case and your motherboard.

Match the specs. Be sure to read the footnotes and all fine print.

The User documentation may also refer you to the manufacturer's website for updated information.

Solution
Jul 30, 2020
I'm reasonably new to PC building, but as the previous poster said, it depends on the size of the motherboard ATX, Mini ITX, or Micro ATX (I think I got that right?).

I looked at the case and it can house :
9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX),
12” x 9.6” (ATX)

But I couldn't work out what format the Lenovo Sharkbay was.

Good luck!

jasonf2

Distinguished
Even if by some miracle your standouts work out cables are going to be an issue. Everything in a factory built setup is optimized for spec. Power supply positioning in your new case is probably going to be wrong and as such some cables are probably going to be too short, Good luck.

Reactions: Pixie La Luna