[SOLVED] If i change up the order of an 8 pin's ground wires, will it be alright to use it anyway?

Sep 19, 2020
I'm trying to repair my PSU, given that my sibling has made a mistake while trying to mess with overclocking and the connector melted. I've got the melted connector out of the wires but now i don't know what ground wire goes where (i know there's 3 +12v on the top left and the rest is ground.) Will i have any problems if i put the ground wires in the wrong way? Same question for the +12v ones.

Solution
Get rid of the PSU.

PSUs are not made to be repairable and if enough heat was created to melt connectors who knows what all else may have be damaged.

There could be other shorts that may appear later on. Either immediately the next time the PSU is powered up or perhaps some time later after the PSU has warmed up and/or reaches some threshold provided power wattage.

Bear in mind that other system components may have been damaged. Any power application may likewise cause further system damage and risk. New PSU or otherwise.

But keep the odds in your favor and buy a new PSU - have your sibling pay for it.

Ralston18

Titan
Get rid of the PSU.

PSUs are not made to be repairable and if enough heat was created to melt connectors who knows what all else may have be damaged.

There could be other shorts that may appear later on. Either immediately the next time the PSU is powered up or perhaps some time later after the PSU has warmed up and/or reaches some threshold provided power wattage.

Bear in mind that other system components may have been damaged. Any power application may likewise cause further system damage and risk. New PSU or otherwise.

But keep the odds in your favor and buy a new PSU - have your sibling pay for it.

Solution
Sep 19, 2020

I would actually, but he's not legally old enough to work yet :).

I'm only asking because I can't afford any new components, especially because of lockdown. As far as i'm concerned, only the connector melted down, there was nothing apparently wrong with the PSU itself. I've seen people resolder 24 pin connectors on cheaper PSUs and they'd work as brand as new, and seeing that 8 pin is simpler (and that, supposedly, nothing is damaged on the actual PSU), i thought i'd give it a try.

I'm on the line for a new PSU anyways, 550W is almost not cutting it anymore for the gear we have atm. Planning to get a new one by early 2021, when stuff settles down and the prices go back to normal.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the failed oc did not melt that connection. what did was the lack of proper protections in place to prevent damage. when it drew too much current, the psu should have triggered a shut down, but clearly whatever unit you have has nu such protections.

now imagine if you mis-wire this thing or if other damage is present. you already know this psu does not have the proper protections built in. this time it may take the entire pc with it instead of a connection. you say you can't afford a new psu right now. how about a whole new system when this one blows up? it's worth the money for a quality psu as it is what drives the whole system. you'd not buy a ferrarri and put a 2 cycle lawnmower engine in it would you? that's what you are doing when you try to cheap out on the psu.