Discussion If I connect a 160GB sata HDD PC hangs on ASUS Logo

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
I am at the moment using a Samsung 120GB sata SSD.
I also have an old Seagate 160GB sata HDD.
Problem is if I connect the Seagate HDD my PC hangs on the motherboard's logo (ASUS).
Is there a way to troubleshoot this ?

Could be that the HDD is somehow taking preference over the SSD, and since the HDD doesn't have windows on it (i'm guessing), the boot is getting stuck there. Try to swap the SATA ports into which the two storage devices are plugged in. Can you enter the BIOS?

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Could be that the HDD is somehow taking preference over the SSD, and since the HDD doesn't have windows on it (i'm guessing), the boot is getting stuck there. Try to swap the SATA ports into which the two storage devices are plugged in. Can you enter the BIOS?
Sorry I forgot to mention an important detail.
When I connect the Seagate HDD & the PC hangs the only thing I can do is enter the UEFI by pressing the DEL key. Inside the UEFI there is no sign of the Seagate HDD. Only the Samsung SSD is detected.

The fact that confuses me is why all of a sudden this HDD failed (I am not sure if its really failed).
I was using this HDD with my previous motherboard & it was running just fine. Then when my old motherboard died I purchased this new one & from the very beginning it hanged when I connect this HDD.

Sorry I forgot to mention an important detail.
When I connect the Seagate HDD & the PC hangs the only thing I can do is enter the UEFI by pressing the DEL key. Inside the UEFI there is no sign of the Seagate HDD. Only the Samsung SSD is detected.

The fact that confuses me is why all of a sudden this HDD failed (I am not sure if its really failed).
I was using this HDD with my previous motherboard & it was running just fine. Then when my old motherboard died I purchased this new one & from the very beginning it hanged when I connect this HDD.
Have you tried different SATA ports and different SATA cables?Again, try swapping the ports and cables on the HDD and SSD, maybe it's a defective cable or port. Also, check to see if the HDD is actually turning on, they vibrate a little when the disk inside is spinning, so if there's no vibration coming from it at all, it could mean it's either dead or it's not getting power.

curoius

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Have you tried different SATA ports and different SATA cables?Again, try swapping the ports and cables on the HDD and SSD, maybe it's a defective cable or port. Also, check to see if the HDD is actually turning on, they vibrate a little when the disk inside is spinning, so if there's no vibration coming from it at all, it could mean it's either dead or it's not getting power.
Yes I have tried almost all of the SATA ports & 2 cables. Actually my plan is to sell this HDD to a friend but the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that I have personal data on the this HDD which I want to delete before I hand it over to him.

Honestly speaking I am worried that if I keep retrying with this HDD it may affect my new motherboard's health. This fear may be baseless I have no idea.

Yes I have tried almost all of the SATA ports & 2 cables. Actually my plan is to sell this HDD to a friend but the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that I have personal data on the this HDD which I want to delete before I hand it over to him.

Honestly speaking I am worried that if I keep retrying with this HDD it may affect my new motherboard's health. This fear may be baseless I have no idea.
What about a different SATA power cable? If that doesn't work either, my guess would be the HDD is dead.