If I connect a USB cable's internal power leads to 5V and GND, and then data leads to PC, will it work?

TheArchitect02

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I'd like to power an Arduino with potatoes (yes, you heard my right) and I've got the proper 5V on the potatoes, but if I connect the internal leads of the USB cable to the potatoes and the data leads to my PC, would it properly establish a connection or does the computer need to power the cable for proper connection establishment?

Solution
I can't see any spec on power requirement for Arduino Uno, you have to figure this out for yourself.
- Get a multi-meter, switch it to measure Direct Current (usually labeled A=); cut red wire from an USB cable, and connect the multi-meter between the cut ends. Power up your Arduino - now you have a base. Any output you connect (eg LEDs) will add to this base.

As to how to up the current - in same way as you would up the voltage. If you need eg ten potatoes connected in series to get 5VDC, add another tenin parallel - this will give you same voltage, but twice the current. You've got the idea.

TheArchitect02

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Ok. How can I up the current? I am using a Sparkfun Inventor Kit v3.2, which uses an Arduino Uno (ATMega 32BP).

I can't see any spec on power requirement for Arduino Uno, you have to figure this out for yourself.
- Get a multi-meter, switch it to measure Direct Current (usually labeled A=); cut red wire from an USB cable, and connect the multi-meter between the cut ends. Power up your Arduino - now you have a base. Any output you connect (eg LEDs) will add to this base.

As to how to up the current - in same way as you would up the voltage. If you need eg ten potatoes connected in series to get 5VDC, add another tenin parallel - this will give you same voltage, but twice the current. You've got the idea.

Solution

TheArchitect02

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Ok. I'll try this and get back to you.

TRENDING THREADS