[SOLVED] If i connect my case fans to this hub is their speed controllable?

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
If I get a Thermaltake Commander FX - 10 and connect all my case fans to it is their speed controllable/automatic? The fans are all 3 pin.

I heard that if i connect it to this fan hub I will get 100% speed.

I am not even sure if my fans are already running at full speed as my motherboard does not seem to able to change the fan speed.

Solution
A Splitter is the right way to connect several THREE-pin fans to a single mobo header. That way the header delivers the same varying voltage to all the fans on the Splitter, whereas most HUBS do things differently and can NOT contol the speed of 3-pin fans. However, when you use a Splitter, you are limited to at most 1.0 A max current for the entire load on that header. Now, most current case fans pull 0.1 to 0.25 A max, so three on one header using a Splitter normally is NO problem. In fact, more than that might be possible IF you know the max current spec of each fan you are using. Be wary of what are called "LED fans" - they are the early lighted fans with only one cable from fan to header, and they show only one colour all the time...

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Looks like it is just a fan power hub, so all fans would run at 100% of their setting. There does not appear to be any sort of PWM or RPM management for any form of BIOS control on this unit.
I see, is it okay if I let them run at 100%? I hear it shortens their life.

Idk if they are already running at 100%. my mother board is Colorful H81A-BTC V20.
I dont think it has fan control so are they already running at max if you don't have fan control?

Is there some kind of fan hub that can control 3 pin fans speeds cause the one I found only controlled 4 pin ones i think.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I see, is it okay if I let them run at 100%? I hear it shortens their life.

Idk if they are already running at 100%. my mother board is Colorful H81A-BTC V20.
I dont think it has fan control so are they already running at max if you don't have fan control?

Is there some kind of fan hub that can control 3 pin fans speeds cause the one I found only controlled 4 pin ones i think.
By the time any case fans die you'll probably already have replaced them/gotten a new rig...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, it appears that Hub will not do what you want. Actually, to get a bunch of 3-pin fans (you do not tell us how many, and that is an important factor) under speed control requires many things, and you don't appear to have any of them. The specs for your mobo are not very helpful, but they only say the board can "monitor" the case fans, implying they can NOT be controlled by the board. With NO version of fan speed control by the board, your only option really is to get a third-party Fan Controller. That is a module you mount in a 5¼" drive bay and use to set your fan speeds MANUALLY. If you go that route, get one that says clearly that it DOES control the speed of 3-pin fans. (Some of the newer models designed for 4-pin fans use weasel words like "compatible with 3-pin fans" because they can provide power to 3-pin ones, but NOT control the speed.)

With a manual Fan Controller, YOU are the controller. That is, you must decide when and why to change the fan speeds, and to what new setting, based on .... what criteria? The automatic systems in most mobos use a TEMPERATURE sensor and have pre-set temperature targets to work from. Normally there's a temp sensor built into the CPU chip used for the CPU_FAN header that cools the CPU, and a different temp sensor on the mobo used by case fans. I don't know whether your mobo will show you the internal CPU temperature, and it may not have a mobo temp sensor to show you. And of course, what is the RIGHT temp for each of those? The choice some make is to change the fans to what seems nice and quiet, but that ignores completly the fact that they are supposed to COOL hot components.

My suspicion is that the makers of that board judged that it would be used for heavy processing loads with many heat-generating boards plugged into it, so all of the case fans should always operate at max speed to be safe.

Reactions: Osama Nawaz

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
By the time any case fans die you'll probably already have replaced them/gotten a new rig...
How long do they generally last? I have cooler master fans.

No, it appears that Hub will not do what you want. Actually, to get a bunch of 3-pin fans (you do not tell us how many, and that is an important factor) under speed control requires many things, and you don't appear to have any of them. The specs for your mobo are not very helpful, but they only say the board can "monitor" the case fans, implying they can NOT be controlled by the board. With NO version of fan speed control by the board, your only option really is to get a third-party Fan Controller. That is a module you mount in a 5¼" drive bay and use to set your fan speeds MANUALLY. If you go that route, get one that says clearly that it DOES control the speed of 3-pin fans. (Some of the newer models designed for 4-pin fans use weasel words like "compatible with 3-pin fans" because they can provide power to 3-pin ones, but NOT control the speed.)

With a manual Fan Controller, YOU are the controller. That is, you must decide when and why to change the fan speeds, and to what new setting, based on .... what criteria? The automatic systems in most mobos use a TEMPERATURE sensor and have pre-set temperature targets to work from. Normally there's a temp sensor built into the CPU chip used for the CPU_FAN header that cools the CPU, and a different temp sensor on the mobo used by case fans. I don't know whether your mobo will show you the internal CPU temperature, and it may not have a mobo temp sensor to show you. And of course, what is the RIGHT temp for each of those? The choice some make is to change the fans to what seems nice and quiet, but that ignores completly the fact that they are supposed to COOL hot components.

My suspicion is that the makers of that board judged that it would be used for heavy processing loads with many heat-generating boards plugged into it, so all of the case fans should always operate at max speed to be safe.
I have three 3-pin fans connected right now, plan on getting two more. Also one cpu fan. I need the hub to connect more than 3. I will check out those fan control drive bays, I have seen them before and they are pretty expensive here.

I am getting a new motherboard btw, an Asus Q87M-E and it does say it has fan control.
I am not worried about them being quiet, just worried about them breaking too soon. I cannot hear the fans due to the sound of my ceiling fan.

Yes it looks like that. It does seem they are running at full speed all the time.

Something like this is a better alternative. You can get them as 2-3 or 4 fan connectors.
This allows the motherboard to control fan speeds based on temperatures.

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Something like this is a better alternative. You can get them as 2-3 or 4 fan connectors.
This allows the motherboard to control fan speeds based on temperatures.
I have a thingie like that but its a 4-pin to 3-pin splitter cable

I've heard it will not be able to connect 5 fans

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That new ASUS Q87M-E WILL give you automated case fan speed control, but you will need to get a little item to make it all work. The issue here is that you have three 3-pin fans and plan on adding 2 more, but it appears the mobo has two CHA_FAN headers that can only use the newer PWM Mode of control, meaning it can control the speed of 4-pin fans only. Fortunately there is a new device that can solve this problem. Get the Phanteks Universal Fan Controller, Model PH-PWHUB_02

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Uni...sprefix=Phanteks+Universal+Fan,aps,202&sr=8-1

Almost uniquely among fan Hubs, this item CAN work with both 3-pin and 4-pin fans because, for its four 3-pin output ports, it converts the new PWM Mode signals it gets from a CHA_FAN header into the older Voltage Control Signals required by 3-pin fans. It also has output ports for 4-pin fans, which you may not need. It comes with at least one small Splitter that allows you to connect two fans to one of it outputs, so your five 3-pin fans can connect to its four 3-pin ports.

There is an older smaller Phanteks Fan Hub that had similar capabilities, but this new model is priced about the same and has more features.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most fans are rated somewhere between 50,000 hrs and 100,000 hrs. That's about 5.7 - 11.4 years at 100% continuous use. Or about 15 years if you only run the pc 8 hrs a day. I've got fans in pc's that are over 20 years old, I've also had fans die on me after 6 years of 100% continuous 24/7/365 usage.

Basically the chances of fan failure in today's pc's are exponentially smaller than the chances of you keeping the pc long enough for them to die. It does happen, mostly from neglect and allowing the fan to collect too much dust for too long, or using the wrong fan in the wrong application (don't use sleeve bearing fans horizontally), but it's few and far between.

For a $20 fan, 5 years of service is plenty good value.

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
sorry for the late reply, i had not seen these posts until now
That new ASUS Q87M-E WILL give you automated case fan speed control, but you will need to get a little item to make it all work. The issue here is that you have three 3-pin fans and plan on adding 2 more, but it appears the mobo has two CHA_FAN headers that can only use the newer PWM Mode of control, meaning it can control the speed of 4-pin fans only. Fortunately there is a new device that can solve this problem. Get the Phanteks Universal Fan Controller, Model PH-PWHUB_02

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Universal-Fan-Controller-PH-PWHUB_02/dp/B07NHQRCRM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ZSQSZFMALRR8&dchild=1&keywords=phanteks+universal+fan+controller,+ph-pwhub_02&qid=1594263614&sprefix=Phanteks+Universal+Fan,aps,202&sr=8-1

Almost uniquely among fan Hubs, this item CAN work with both 3-pin and 4-pin fans because, for its four 3-pin output ports, it converts the new PWM Mode signals it gets from a CHA_FAN header into the older Voltage Control Signals required by 3-pin fans. It also has output ports for 4-pin fans, which you may not need. It comes with at least one small Splitter that allows you to connect two fans to one of it outputs, so your five 3-pin fans can connect to its four 3-pin ports.

There is an older smaller Phanteks Fan Hub that had similar capabilities, but this new model is priced about the same and has more features.
i was not able to get that mb but i did get something similar, an asus b85m-e
i think it has the exact same fan control and it is controlling my fans. i can see the control in the bios even though they are 3 pin fans. even through splitter i can see their speed but if i put a splitter on a splitter and then add the fan i cant.

that hub looks good but i cant get it off amazon because the shipping cost is huge for me. Also cant find that hub locally anywhere.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A Splitter is the right way to connect several THREE-pin fans to a single mobo header. That way the header delivers the same varying voltage to all the fans on the Splitter, whereas most HUBS do things differently and can NOT contol the speed of 3-pin fans. However, when you use a Splitter, you are limited to at most 1.0 A max current for the entire load on that header. Now, most current case fans pull 0.1 to 0.25 A max, so three on one header using a Splitter normally is NO problem. In fact, more than that might be possible IF you know the max current spec of each fan you are using. Be wary of what are called "LED fans" - they are the early lighted fans with only one cable from fan to header, and they show only one colour all the time and you have no control over its brightness. That type uses more current - can max out over 0.4 A.

OP, you have a mobo now with TWO CHA_FAN headers, and five 3-pin fans in total. So split them up as three on one header, and two on another. To do the three on one header, you may need to "stack" two simple two-output Splitters, and maybe that is exactly what you have done.

Using a Splitter does NOT impact your ability to control the speed of the fans - they all will be under mobo control. It DOES influence what fan speeds you can "see" in BIOS Setup or in any utility that runs under Windows. Any mobo header can accept and use the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So any Splitter will only send back the speed of one of its fans and ignore the other(s). The way they do that is simple for most 2-output Splitters. If you examine the two output connectors of one, you will note that one has all four of its pins (IF it is a 4-pin Splitter), but the other is missing Pin #3. Only the fan plugged into the Splitter output that HAS ALL of its pins will be able to send its speed to the mobo header. Any speed signal on the other output "arm" (whether from another fan, of from 2 fans on a second Splitter) will be ignored and never "seen". That also means that the mobo fan header cannot monitor all the fan speed signals for fan failure, so from time to time YOU should check that all the fans are still working.

Solution

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
A Splitter is the right way to connect several THREE-pin fans to a single mobo header. That way the header delivers the same varying voltage to all the fans on the Splitter, whereas most HUBS do things differently and can NOT contol the speed of 3-pin fans. However, when you use a Splitter, you are limited to at most 1.0 A max current for the entire load on that header. Now, most current case fans pull 0.1 to 0.25 A max, so three on one header using a Splitter normally is NO problem. In fact, more than that might be possible IF you know the max current spec of each fan you are using. Be wary of what are called "LED fans" - they are the early lighted fans with only one cable from fan to header, and they show only one colour all the time and you have no control over its brightness. That type uses more current - can max out over 0.4 A.

OP, you have a mobo now with TWO CHA_FAN headers, and five 3-pin fans in total. So split them up as three on one header, and two on another. To do the three on one header, you may need to "stack" two simple two-output Splitters, and maybe that is exactly what you have done.

Using a Splitter does NOT impact your ability to control the speed of the fans - they all will be under mobo control. It DOES influence what fan speeds you can "see" in BIOS Setup or in any utility that runs under Windows. Any mobo header can accept and use the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So any Splitter will only send back the speed of one of its fans and ignore the other(s). The way they do that is simple for most 2-output Splitters. If you examine the two output connectors of one, you will note that one has all four of its pins (IF it is a 4-pin Splitter), but the other is missing Pin #3. Only the fan plugged into the Splitter output that HAS ALL of its pins will be able to send its speed to the mobo header. Any speed signal on the other output "arm" (whether from another fan, of from 2 fans on a second Splitter) will be ignored and never "seen". That also means that the mobo fan header cannot monitor all the fan speed signals for fan failure, so from time to time YOU should check that all the fans are still working.
The fans I am are of the type you speak. A one color fan with only one cable, but the rated current on the website is not as high as 0.4A.

I have three of these
rated 0.16A

and have ordered two of these for the front.
https://www.thermaltake.com/luna-14-slim-led-red.html
rated 0.2A

Ok.

Ok I see now why the splitter shows only one fans speed in the bios.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
With those fan specs you will have no problem. In fact, all five could be connected together on one header for a total load of 0.88 A max. But you don't need to do that since you can split them into two groups for your two headers, using a total of three 2-output Splitters.