If I damaged my computer through static, what would be some symptoms?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickmo94

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hi there, first time builder here, and after 20 or so hours I managed to get my PC together (I know; it was my first time, and I took it VERY slow, carefully triple checking where I plugged in everything). Unfortunately, my computer does not make any beep noises at all, i.e., no POST. The fans however, turn on, as well as the hard drive, and the chassis LEDs. I am going to go through some steps to troubleshoot this unfortunate situation, but I would like to know what symptoms would be expected from any damage caused by static, and if that in fact is the reason why I'm not getting my motherboard to POST.

Here is what I did that is making me worry about possibly causing static damage:

After one initial slip-up where I placed the motherboard (which rested atop its foam pad) on the carpet as I read its manual, and then upon reading in the manual the advice about carpets, quickly placed it back in its anti-static bag and moved to a glass table in a room with wood floors to continue working on it.

I put the fan, CPU, and GPU in the motherboard while working on a glass table, and put the motherboard back in the chassis on a granite table.

I then moved my build back to my room (which has carpets), and thought that it would be fine so long as I wore cotton (which I did) and grounded myself by touching the chassis. Unfortunately, only recently did I find out that the chassis actually had to be plugged in (but not turned on) in order to ground static electricity, and thus was plugging in all the components into the motherboard while not actually grounding myself properly.

Also, as a suggestion for this site, I think it would be beneficial to sticky a thread in these forums that, in the first post, specifically talks about static and how to avoid it. Even the Tom's Hardware "Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC" doesn't specify that the case/chassis actually has to be plugged in in order to properly ground. Here is the one mention made regarding static in it:

"Remember from this point forward to ground yourself by touching the metal case before you handle any of your computer’s electronic components, it saves them from possible static discharge which can destroy hardware. Some people find it useful to use a Anti-static wrist band but I leave that to the individual, as I don't find them necessary, as long as you continue to touch the metal of your case."

It also doesn't even mention plugging in the PSU after a person installs it. Now, I'm not trying to harp on the guide, as it was very useful to me in getting everything together, but I had no idea about the need to plug in the PSU in order to ground myself through the chassis while reading it, and as this is a major site for computer information, it would be extremely beneficial to inform future builders of this.

Now, I get that a lot of people view grounding static electricity as common sense, but for a new builder whose only resources are manuals, the internet, and what other people tell them, it isn't all that clear. After my initial slip-up, I thought I was doing the right thing by not plugging in my chassis when I grounded myself, as I figured that having the potential for even bit of power to run through while I was building my PC would be catastrophic. Unfortunately, it might have been catastrophic to NOT do that, and I only wish that this would have been clearer to me.

Anyways,
I am going to go through some steps to troubleshoot this unfortunate situation, but would like to better understand what I'm dealing with here, and if in fact this problem was caused by my own stupidity, i.e., static electricity.

Thank you to any who respond.

Sincerely,
Nicholas

ayleidruin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Your right nickmo94. They need to Add More to the newb guide.
Cuz really, Static is the Main Concern. Everything else is Easy.

Static Info:

5000volts will be the (Electric Bolt) Ark You See when you touch a Door Knob. =Hurts!

1500v will be the LEAST you will feel. =Nothing to cry about

30v of Static Electricity is all it takes to Fry a Circuit.
=did u hear that Atom Fart?
^U will NOT FEEL a 30v Static Charge!

IOW you will not feel the destruction. But come 6 months down the road you find your PC acting strangely, then not boot up at all.

Radio Shack sells static bracelets for $3. Which simply is a bracelet with a resistor and a wire coming off of it. The wire's other end there is an alligator clip that you attach to the PC Case/Chassis (the Rough Grey Metal part).

The point of it is so metal is touching your skin and grounding right on the Case.

@nickmo94

If I were you, I would send it back and get a replacement Before you run out of time to Return it/Warranty to where you got it.
OR
Pull the Board out and Check the Capacitors. But you would have to get an ESR Meter to test them IN circuit. That means you will have to read up on de-soldering techniques to pull them out of circuit.

A MultiMeter with Capacitance reading will do it If it goes over your Cap's uF(microfarads) rating.
Example:
your Capacitor reads on the side of it @ 15v 3600uf? --> then a +4000uf reading you would need.

^BUT! Then again. It might not be the caps. It Could be what
Petrofsky said way up in the 7th reply.

Hence, the Warranty. They'll Honor it. Just say you grounded yourself with a static strap if they ask. Which I doubt they will.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Adjustable-Grounding/dp/B00004Z5D1

apologies for the wall of txt :p
Good Luck and Have Fun!

jmccarty13

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

You computer case being open exposes you to a maximum of 12 volts. Unless you have your shielded psu open too there is pretty much no risk of being shocked

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Intel CPU's can use RAM with more than 1.5v..

jmccarty13

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry i was incorrect but there are still many that only support 1.5 so its something to try since computers involve lots of trial and error. But check out these links

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/core-i7-memory-suppliers-0412-datasheet.pdf

http://www.intel.eu/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/core-i5-processor-memory-0412-datasheet.pdf

and i couldn't find a data sheet for i3 but here is something just as good

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei3/sb/CS-031175.htm

Gamerg123

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
This is way late but the people above telling people to unplug the psu is so wrong in order to ground your computer you need to hook up the psu plug it in and leave the switch on the psu off. Keep touching it and the case you will not be electrocuted. Some of you gave really bad advice no wonder the guy never got his pc to work...