If I fresh instal, and migrate files&setngs, need I re-ins..

Hi - I was reading an article on ZDnet - and rather than upgrade, they
recommended

1) use File & settings xfr wizard to get all old settings
2) clean install XP (into new directory)
3) restore files and settings.

they implied that, as far as applications are concerned, this is
equivalent to an upgrade, but better because you don't bring along
"accumulated SW problems".
Are they right? Will I needto reinstall apps? Do all the
application DLLs and such travel? If I get everything I would get
with an upgrade, don't the 'accumulated SW problems" travel along as well?

thanks
/j

Hi,

They are half right. What they propose will work, but you have to reinstall
everything you use. To me, that is one heck of a PITA. Instead, guard
against disaster by backing up your personal files to removable media. Then
do an upgrade. This will retaing your present software without reinstalling,
though some may require an upgrade or patch (check with the software
vendor). At worst, things go totally wrong necessitating a clean install,
but you have not lost the backed up files. At best, your inconvenience is
minimized by upgrading.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/