Question if i had two sticks of 4gb and one stick of 16gb will it workl

Without knowing anything else, theres a chance it will.
Generally speaking, RAM is only guaranteed to work in the kits its sold in. Even two identical sticks bought on the same day from the same retailer may not work together.
The more that is different, the less chance of it working.

If you have 2x4 now, and are planning to buy new RAM, it would be best to buy a 2x8GB kit.

Mar 18, 2019
Without knowing anything else, theres a chance it will.
Generally speaking, RAM is only guaranteed to work in the kits its sold in. Even two identical sticks bought on the same day from the same retailer may not work together.
The more that is different, the less chance of it working.

If you have 2x4 now, and are planning to buy new RAM, it would be best to buy a 2x8GB kit.

Umm it would be the same frequency and company would that still be ok
i want to get one 16 so late i can get another

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's all you can do. There's only one guarantee about mixing ram kits, there are no guarantees. It's total swing and miss and the ram doesn't work, or swing and foul and ram requires user input to change settings before it'll work or swing and homerun and everything is golden. Ram in kits is factory tested to be compliant whether it's 2 or 4 or 8 sticks in a kit.

When mixing kits you become the tester....

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not quite right. Most ATX motherboard pc's come with 4 DIMM slots for ram, many mATX/mITX motherboards have only 2 DIMM slots.

It's not a prevailing misconception. For full dual channel capability, both sticks must be the same size and same design, both single side high density or double side low density etc.

Having odd size sticks uses flex mode, that's where the matching size uses dual channel and whatever is left over runs single channel. Using multiple sticks changes that again. Using 2x4Gb with 1x16Gb you'll get 8Gb in dual channel that'll be used up first, the 16Gb stick will be single channel.