[SOLVED] If i increase cpu frequency without increase the voltage, does the cpu degrade faster or is the same?

alexgameruro

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
Hello, i have an a8 5600k (mb asrock fm2a58m vg3+ r2.0) and i did oc it to 4.2 with the stock voltage 1.26( turbo boost off, nb 1.5 voltage 1.1) and i streesed it and it seems ok, but i dont know if its safe for the cpu.

Solution
I would say you're looking pretty good. You're nowhere near your tMax and there doesn't appear to be any throttling, which would indicate that temps are too high, so all good.

To go back to your original question though, my answer seems a bit vague.

In actuality, if you increase your clock speed, without increasing voltage, yes it will degrade your chip faster even though you haven't raised voltage, because your processor is still doing more, which requires more power. Voltage allows your processor to have the power to use.

But the degradation, at stock voltage, as long as your temps remain fine, is so negligible that you shouldn't even worry about it.

Cheers mate

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
It won't necessarily degrade any faster, degradation is a matter of voltage and temperature.

As long as you keep your temps in check, you won't have to worry about degradation whatsoever.

What are your temps under load while testing?

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Okay then, I'm unfamiliar with AMD or your set but what is your max thermal limit for your processor?

I seem to find it says 74c online for tMax, so your idling at around 15c???

Try downloading CoreTemp to check your temps, its very accurate and will give you direct temps instead of margin to max temp.

Let me know what CoreTemp says.

Hope this helps.

alexgameruro

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
Last edited:

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
I would say you're looking pretty good. You're nowhere near your tMax and there doesn't appear to be any throttling, which would indicate that temps are too high, so all good.

To go back to your original question though, my answer seems a bit vague.

In actuality, if you increase your clock speed, without increasing voltage, yes it will degrade your chip faster even though you haven't raised voltage, because your processor is still doing more, which requires more power. Voltage allows your processor to have the power to use.

But the degradation, at stock voltage, as long as your temps remain fine, is so negligible that you shouldn't even worry about it.

Cheers mate

Reactions: alexgameruro
Solution